Patiently Awaiting New AT Pro!

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't doubt Dusty's experience with his Ace 350, but if its not working for you then move on to something your happy with already. Then again, some people are never happy with anything. Maybe someone should have asked him what he actually likes!

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Btw... good luck with your ATP and HH!!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took dustytrails challange and hunted a park with my AT Pro, which by the way is my first detector, but I have over 100 hours on it Looks like coins 51, bottle caps 3 I will take that ratio any day. I love this machine!

Attachments

• 100_6573.JPG
    100_6573.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 118

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had some video of some of the days I've been out at my Civil War hunting grounds. I own an AT Pro and I couldn't be happier. I've dug flat buttons at 6 and 8 inches. I've seen days in the right conditions and right soil where I've found dimes at almost 10 inches. This is no exaggeration. I don't work for Garrett or get paid anything from them for advertising. I'm just saying that because I don't want someone thinking I'm boosting their product. The AT Pro is awesome here in north eastern North Carolina.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I had some video of some of the days I've been out at my Civil War hunting grounds. I own an AT Pro and I couldn't be happier. I've dug flat buttons at 6 and 8 inches. I've seen days in the right conditions and right soil where I've found dimes at almost 10 inches. This is no exaggeration. I don't work for Garrett or get paid anything from them for advertising. I'm just saying that because I don't want someone thinking I'm boosting their product. The AT Pro is awesome here in north eastern North Carolina.
I dig lots of dimes at 8-10 inches. Dont know why, but they are always the deeper targets:icon_scratch:

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a chance of a lifetime last year and hunted near Bath NC on some property where Blackbeard may have spent some time. Graves from the late 1600's are on the property. So I get a hit...nice hit with some iron in it. I dig...4 inches down I find a square head nail...oldddddd nail. I swing to check the hole...BOOM...strong coin tone...I keep digging...almost 9 inches down there it is...I see it...a coin...I'm thinking OH JESUS...a coin from a hole where I just dug a super old nail...I clean it off...1995 dime. Come on now...how does a dime get below a nail from the probably the 1700's.

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got back from a little park I've never hunted.

First signal was 1940d Wheat. It was looking like it was going to be a good start. I ended up digging a pile of pennies, a few dimes, 10 bottle caps, a pin button of a hand flipping the bird. That one made me chuckle. Also a couple of beaver tails and a couple of pop tops and some misc junk.
Most of the bottle caps sounded not like coins. Some had an iron grunt, some a scratchy sound much like I expect pull tabs to sound like. However some sounded off damn nice with no hint that they weren't good targets. I dug em all. I think 4 of em irked me a little.
In all fairness I dig a lot of iffy signals with my Whites too. I feel you never know when a piece of junk is masking a good target. So I dig.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about how I'd like the weight difference compared to my Whites MXTP/Vx3. Nothing could be further from the truth. The ATP feels like a tank compared to my Vx3 and it's a full pound lighter! I'm so not impressed with it in that regard for sure.

Todays limited comparison...Garrett ATP ($600) vs Whites Vx3 ($1200)
I hunted mostly with the ATP as I trying to learn it as it's a new machine to me. I hunt in Pro mode after a manual gb with the Iron Disc at 28-30 and pull tabs notched out and I check almost every target with Iron Audio. Really pretty simple machine to understand. I'll play more with some of the settings as time goes on.
My test subject is the parks pavilion. Pavilions are always great for harboring a wide assortment of trash and a few coins. As I made my around I dug a couple of zincs and 1-2 memorials, a couple of bottle caps (one I knew was garbage, one tricked me) and a beaver tail pull tab that was just a tiny bit iffy. I left all the scratchy, iron grunt stuff and anything else I thought may have been junk.
Next I grabbed my Vx3 and noticed right away how much better it felt than the ATP. After a gb I made my way around the same pavilion. There is a sh...crap ton of a trashy signals and I end up pulling a zinc and a bottle cap. The bottle cap I knew was junk as the VDI's were all over the place and never had a solid signal but I dug it to see what it was. I'm pretty sure I left that one after the Iron Audio on the ATP said "no dig". The zinc penny the ATP missed sounded iffy on the Vx3 too. There was trash near it so I'm calling it a draw at the pavilion. The Vx3 is a ton more pleasurable to swing and listen to however.

Round 2 coming up stay tuned!

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella did you get the 5x8 coil or just the stock 8.5x11? The 5x8 cuts that head weight wayyyy down and in junky areas it will seperate tremendously. As for Dusty.....sounds like he is jealous that he doesn't or cant own an ATP. He bashed it but owns an ace.....see my point....he hates Garrett but still swings one? No one is forcing him to keep it. Anyways Fella check my posts ...I've had my atp for just over a year and still learning but I will stand by this machine being because for the money it does a hell of a job as long as you can learn its language:)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fella did you get the 5x8 coil or just the stock 8.5x11? The 5x8 cuts that head weight wayyyy down and in junky areas it will seperate tremendously. As for Dusty.....sounds like he is jealous that he doesn't or cant own an ATP. He bashed it but owns an ace.....see my point....he hates Garrett but still swings one? No one is forcing him to keep it. Anyways Fella check my posts ...I've had my atp for just over a year and still learning but I will stand by this machine being because for the money it does a hell of a job as long as you can learn its language:)

imo there is nothing wrong with someone hating Garrett, Bounty hunter, Whites, Tesero,
Fisher, Minelab, or whatever.
If they have legit reasons.
However nobody has a right to attack members for their choice,
or follow every thread in order to repeat the same opinion over & over .

If someone likes a certain brand that is there right.

and the worst thing you can do, in my eyes,
is try to convince a new owner
they made a mistake.

every detector out there has the same potential to make it's owner
very wealthy or at least very satisfied

Last edited:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from a little park I've never hunted.

Todays limited comparison...Garrett ATP ($600) vs Whites Vx3 ($1200) !

Ok how does a $600 dollar MD compete against one twice its price at $1200? I am starting to feel you may be prejudiced could you please show the difference between a $600 Garrett and White of the same value?

** edit ** or are you saying it takes a white detector twice as much cash to beat a Garrett?

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok how does a $600 dollar MD compete against one twice its price at $1200? I am starting to feel you may be prejudiced could you please show the difference between a $600 Garrett and White of the same value?

please use Head To Head Comparisons for brand comparisons.

Thank Ya :thumbsup:

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Dusty is on a 1 week timeout."
I love it! My 4 year old gets them, too, but only for 4 minutes. Thanks Jeff! The whiner needed to cool off.

I got an ATP a few weeks ago and love it. I also own an E Trac and have used several Whites, an Omega, and a Nautilus.
The ATP has found relics that all of the above missed. It's an easy to use/learn machine and, more than anything, it's just fun.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Dusty is on a 1 week timeout."
I love it! My 4 year old gets them, too, but only for 4 minutes. Thanks Jeff! The whiner needed to cool off.

I got an ATP a few weeks ago and love it. I also own an E Trac and have used several Whites, an Omega, and a Nautilus.
The ATP has found relics that all of the above missed. It's an easy to use/learn machine and, more than anything, it's just fun.

thank TH.

I didn't get to him

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
imo there is nothing wrong with someone hating Garrett, Bounty hunter, Whites, Tesero,
Fisher, Minelab, or whatever.
If they have legit reasons.
However nobody has a right to attack members for their choice,
or follow every thread in order to repeat the same opinion over & over .

If someone likes a certain brand that is there right.

and the worst thing you can do, in my eyes,
is try to convince a new owner
they made a mistake.

First... let's (everyone) just drop all the Dusty speculation and any other unnecessary comments about the guy. He has a Garrett, he doesn't like it. He probably uses it because it's what he stuck with. Dunno if he's in a spot to be able to upgrade or not nor do I care. He has what he has and has his opinions on the mfg. I personally didn't see what the big hoopla was all about. Some really took offense, some wished him dead (I see the mods removed that post...that person better have got a time out too), and someone went running to the police. I know the guy (kinda), it's over lets move on.

On to business...I just have the stock coil for right now. I dunno if I'll be dropping any more money on this machine or not. We'll see. Performance is a definite improvement over any of the Ace's I've used but I don't see what all the fuss is about. Yes I'm new to the ATP, yes I know I have to put more time into it and I will.
I was playing with a penny under a rusty nail trying out some different things in Pro Zero mode. While I could get somewhat decent signal, with the jumpy vdi and broken tones, still sounded more like trash. If I get that part figured out, maybe I'll invest in another coil or a straight shaft.

** edit ** or are you saying it takes a white detector twice as much cash to beat a Garrett?

Hardly prejudiced but like what I like for a reason. If I end up liking the ATP for what it can do, I'll give it its fair praise.
For right now I'll just say the biggest difference is build quality and layout. There is no comparison. My Whites is clearly head & shoulders over the ATP. When I was putting the ATP together I couldn't help but shake my head. The plug layout was probably the biggest joke. Fine if you're a 12yo girl maybe. The cam locks suck in comparison to the Whites. Not impressed with the Master Sound headphones either. I'd rather have the cheaper Clearsounds or Treasuresounds. They're not any better but they're way lighter. Huge advantage Whites for their Pro Stars!
I can't really comment on performance differences as the ATP hasn't detected anything worth comparing yet. The deepest thing has been a couple pennies at around 5". Just about ANY detector should be able to hit what I've hit with the ATP so far and I haven't really used either of my Whites to find signals for the ATP to compare to. The Whites swings better by far and the Vx3 make more pleasing noises and runs smoother than the ATP.

** edit ** I'm saying I can swing the Whites WAY longer thus retrieve more treasure? If you ever own one, you'll see!

please use Head To Head Comparisons for brand comparisons.

Thank Ya :thumbsup:
I will when I do a real heads up.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? Somebody cleaned up my post? I guess Dusty was right in his own way, there is something to be said about the 1st Amendment in here.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fella I understand in the,fact that people might be taking the dusty thing to far cuz he first isn't here to defend himself I think he is a very knowledgeable guy I don't know him had my differences with him & whatever its done like u said but u also gotta remember everytime anyone said anything about a Atpro he found that post & bashed it & that's all what everyone else wanted to for him to just drop it,it was gettin old we all knew he didn't like them & that's fine & when he comes back ill take any knowledge he throws out there

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? Somebody cleaned up my post? I guess Dusty was right in his own way, there is something to be said about the 1st Amendment in here.

Your post was deleted because it was an attack on dusty about his ban, it added nothing to this thread and violates our rules.

TN is a private business with public access, every member here agrees to our rules and TOS by posting....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I liked the guy, I found his post humorous and didn't take him seriously. And the bottom line is you swing what you can afford. And for now all I can afford is the AT Pro. Hey I write a lot of reviews on other subjects and I would be more than happy to write them on any detectors too. So if anyone wants to send me one for a month or more go right ahead I'll review it. LOL~!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions