58 KB · Views: 108
  • image-908362753.jpg
    image-908362753.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 96

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never seen a axe head designed like that!:dontknow: Maybe ask over in the relic hunting section,those guy's are pretty sharp at identifying objects. My guess,(and that's just what it is) is that it's a "rail splitting" axe head,or "rail splitter". I've heard of them,but never seen one. From what I've been told , that head was driven into a logs end,then a heavy hammer was struck against the back section,while one man held onto it,forcing it long ways down the log,splitting it for fence rails. Rail fences were the way to close in your property,in the early years. That's a great find!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Awesome!
That thing looks huge! very nice find, might be VERY old...
But yeh, Like RK said check that other forum...

Pete

I found this old axe head at a home site today with my AT Pro, it looks pretty old, does anyone have an idea how old it is? If so how would I go about cleaning it? Or should I clean it? Any info would be greatly appreciated! :) thanks so much!

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think RK is right!

Taken from some web site:
Some American broad ax patterns had
geographic names. The most popular were
the Pennsylvania, New Orleans, Western,
and Canadian patterns. Until the 1930’s the
Western and Canadian patterns were used to
hack railroad ties (Figures 18a, b, c, d, and e).
The slang expression for a person who made
railroad ties was a “tie hacker.”

Hey Wardo, some of these are selling on Ebay
from $70 - $100! See what other say about cleaning it first.
Have to be careful for sure...
This one looks just like yours!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-BLA...159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc56f8dff

Attachments

• broad axe.jpg
    broad axe.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really cool find! :)

OP
OP
ATwardo223

ATwardo223

Jun 17, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO
GARRETT AT PRO,
GARRETT ACE 350,
TESORO Eldorado,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for your info and comments! Rk I think it looks most like that 19th century shipwrights axe, this makes since too, ya see my ancestor Samuel ward founded what is now called Marine City in 1821, because it was the perfect location too continue his career as a shipbuilder, it just so happens that after a little research I found out that his homestead was less than a block away from the property I found this axe head on and his estate encompasses the area I was searching! Although it is a very long shot its possible that I may have found my ancestors broad axe! Lol even though it's impossible to prove and probably unlikely, I am happy just thinking that i may have found a connection to my great great great great uncle Samuel lol!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for your info and comments! Rk I think it looks most like that 19th century shipwrights axe, this makes since too, ya see my ancestor Samuel ward founded what is now called Marine City in 1821, because it was the perfect location too continue his career as a shipbuilder, it just so happens that after a little research I found out that his homestead was less than a block away from the property I found this axe head on and his estate encompasses the area I was searching! Although it is a very long shot its possible that I may have found my ancestors broad axe! Lol even though it's impossible to prove and probably unlikely, I am happy just thinking that i may have found a connection to my great great great great uncle Samuel lol!
That's Great!:thumbsup:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seen many axe heads like that as a kid and all were owned by people over 50 in the 50's. Knowing my grandpa had one and he was born in 1888 and it looked old then I would guess the 1800's to early 1900's.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah,you can bet it's old!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's way older looking than mine I found in a ghost town. Nonexistent since 1946. I think it may have been lost in last 30-40 years. Did find it about 20 feet up river bank. That's a very fine relic!!!

Attachments

• image-3677511302.jpg
    image-3677511302.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 83

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread