ATP at a Old School House Location! The BIG DOG can Hunt Too!

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks,Yeah,I can't believe the condition it is in? Most penny's I dig are crusty? The soil is black sandy soil,that may make a difference?:dontknow:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could help that it was sandy soil. I've noticed the ones I get from sandy soil aren't as patina'd as regular soil. Lucky find though, beautiful coin!

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could help that it was sandy soil. I've noticed the ones I get from sandy soil aren't as patina'd as regular soil. Lucky find though, beautiful coin!
Yeah,the wheats I dug the other day from that site look to be in great shape too?:dontknow: I know some of the clad pennys I dug here in town at the local parks,look like they were kept in battery acid!:laughing7:
00217_zps55e4d97e.jpg

Last edited:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy... Did you dig those out of the L.A. River? Lol. That's crazy how those are worn away. It doesn't look like lawnmower damage either.

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy... Did you dig those out of the L.A. River? Lol. That's crazy how those are worn away. It doesn't look like lawnmower damage either.
Nope,right out of the ground in the local city park! The really bad thing is,they aren't that old either?:laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back today. Found a few wheats,but nothing great. There's still a lot of ground to cover yet,as I'm going slow and checking every signal. I talked to a older man and he said after the school was removed,a local church held picnics on the grounds for years.
That explains the clad your finding there.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope,right out of the ground in the local city park! The really bad thing is,they aren't that old either?:laughing7:
I know the soil has a lot to do with how coins corrode but I think fertilizer does some of that damage.

recentlycured

Jun 28, 2013
I have and dug modern zinc lincolns and they were the same shape.....guess the saying rings true here "they don't make them like they used to".....no matter what shape its still always a great feeling to see a coin come out of the ground

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have and dug modern zinc lincolns and they were the same shape.....guess the saying rings true here "they don't make them like they used to".....no matter what shape its still always a great feeling to see a coin come out of the ground
Yeah,and at the rate they are dissolving,they won't be here in another 20 years! Not that, that's gonna do me any good,though!:laughing7:

recentlycured

Jun 28, 2013
Haha...really makes me sad ...I understand why theyvstopped making them out of copper but comeon....they could have done better than zinc that dissolves lol

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah,I bet on a quiet night,ya can hear them fizzing like a alka seltzer!:laughing7:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought RK was nibbling on them throughout the hunt! Haha
That's why take some snacks with me!
Lol.
Nice coins Buddy! ; )
Pete

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought RK was nibbling on them throughout the hunt! Haha
That's why take some snacks with me!
Lol.
Nice coins Buddy! ; )
Pete
Thanks,Buddy!:thumbsup: It takes a lot more than that, to keep the old hopper full,though!:laughing7:

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Indian head.. love the green patina.. :)

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Indian head.. love the green patina.. :)
thanks,JRMan! It is in really good shape for being in the ground all those years (however long that was?) At the rate our gov. is spending money we haven't got,the new coins might have to be made out of plastic!:laughing7:

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'm gonna hit this site again this coming week,and try "something a little different"!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread