stupid me!

jodee89

May 26, 2013
derry, pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter sharp shooter ultra mag
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was having problems with my pin pointer today so I figured it was the battery. After removing the battery cover I discovered a lot of moisture and a rusty 9 volt. Being somewhat handy and against my wife's warnings I decided to disassemble it and dry it out. Long story short I lost the spring for the on/off switch so now it is inoperable. I know dumb right? Well I'm gonna send it to Garrett and hope for the best. Has anybody ever had this situation and if so how did they handle it. Also how long should I look to be without it? I discovered how much more difficult it is without this thing today as I dug a bunch of plugs but only located half the targets. What an ass I am!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deny everything, and admit nothing!!!!!!! for example.. It was like that when I got it.. It never had any problems before, I don't know what could of happened. It was on FIRE when I got there ... you get the idea..... But that is just me

**** EDIT .. almost forgot the most important part.. make counter accusations ... . I didn't see anything, did you? .. etc...

Last edited:

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And hope they didn't read this thread. I'm just sayin'!

OP
OP
jodee89

jodee89

May 26, 2013
derry, pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uncle Jeff, good advice...I think.lol and bad penny your right if they read this post I will be toasted like a colonial copper...haha. on a serious note though I would be willing to pay for the repair...I mean how much can a little spring be anyway? As long as its less than$125.00 I'll be good with that.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure they will fix it right up. Probably take em 5 minutes to fix ya know?
I would think two weeks maybe?

Pete

OP
OP
jodee89

jodee89

May 26, 2013
derry, pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure they will fix it right up. Probably take em 5 minutes to fix ya know?
I would think two weeks maybe?

Pete

Yeah I hope so Pete. After it returns I guess I should take measures to water proof this thing so I don't have to go thru this again.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you can find the spring by using a vacuum cleaner and given the work area a good going over, using a clean bag helps..

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
or you could just blame it on Obama, everything else seems to be his fault

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might be cheaper just to order the spring instead of shipping it off.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh a lot of guys do just that!
Good Luck.. Let us know how you make out..
Pete

Yeah I hope so Pete. After it returns I guess I should take measures to water proof this thing so I don't have to go thru this again.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could advance to using a screw driver for a probe like we did before you kids came along with digging all those plugs and killing the grass in all those circles at the parks.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
jodee89

jodee89

May 26, 2013
derry, pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though a lot of things are Obamas doing, this one is all me. I will let you know what I find out. Sandman, I can only hope that someday I can be as "advanced" as you. I've never used a screw driver and I've never dug in a park. Sorry to disappoint...lol. also, don't you take a chance of messing up your find?

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I would just ask them to send you the spring if you can assemble it easily, it would probably be much quicker that way.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Interesting responses here - anyway, I would just call Garrett (or E-Mail - they are very responsive) and be honest. Tell them that somehow water got in and rusted, etc. you attemped to replace the battery, etc. - based on their track record of helping out their clients - they might just help you out without a charge jodee89.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My switch fell apart, sent it in, had a new Pro pointer in 10 days! Garrett is awesome, no need to lie, the have heard them all im sure!

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just level with them too; no need to BS them; you did it.

Sledgod2

May 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I kind of had the same thing happen to me, took it apart to clean the speaker holes and the switch came apart. Luckily I was able to find all the little contacts and spring and fix it myself... A little tape over the holes and I'll NEVER do that again.

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even though a lot of things are Obamas doing, this one is all me. I will let you know what I find out. Sandman, I can only hope that someday I can be as "advanced" as you. I've never used a screw driver and I've never dug in a park. Sorry to disappoint...lol. also, don't you take a chance of messing up your find?

Your first mistake was loosing the spring your second was telling your wife. My brother in law made the mistake of cutting down a dead twin trunk tree in front of his wife and mother that was leaning away from his john boat that was sitting on blocks. The women kept telling him to move the boat. His answer was I know what i'm doing when he cut the tree half way down it twisted 90 deg and cut his boat in half. That was 25yr ago and he's still hears about it.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread