AT Pro and deep signals

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get those and its a target that's on its edge or is in a line also since you're not getting the depth indicated its deep. I dig that stuff just in case and for curiosity.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a deep target that's at the limit of the ATs signal...it could be anything...I always dig those, thinking its something old...sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't...I don't get many of those signals so I always dig them.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same with me... No VDI display means a deep target and lots of the guys here say
they always dig one way signals. I'll have to start trying that more myself too!
Pete

That is a deep target that's at the limit of the ATs signal...it could be anything...I always dig those, thinking its something old...sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't...I don't get many of those signals so I always dig them.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it u never know especialy if u find out someone else dug it & was something great while u were wondering dig or not dont wonder it doesnt take Long to dig a small plug

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you pinpointing these targets and still seeing no VDI or depth? The reason I as is that sometimes out of curiosity I've pinpointed some of these signals and found that they were much closer to the surface than first expected.. like 2-4 inches..

On a side note... I went out hunting yesterday with my ATP in a park that had 10,000+ people through it for a weekend festival and my goal for the day was to turn the sensitivity way down to 2-3 bars max, cover as much ground as possible, as efficiently as possible and just get surface finds... I found a nice older watch, religious charm and sweet silver ring with a turquoise stone but they were all buried 3-4 inches down and the ATP picked them up even with the low sens setting and with how fast I was moving. I already had confidence in the machine but I gained a little more after that hunt :thumbsup:

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find myself doing that a lot too when I hit the tot lots.
Low Sens, and just swing fast... In/Out real quick!
Works great!
Pete

Are you pinpointing these targets and still seeing no VDI or depth? The reason I as is that sometimes out of curiosity I've pinpointed some of these signals and found that they were much closer to the surface than first expected.. like 2-4 inches..

On a side note... I went out hunting yesterday with my ATP in a park that had 10,000+ people through it for a weekend festival and my goal for the day was to turn the sensitivity way down to 2-3 bars max, cover as much ground as possible, as efficiently as possible and just get surface finds... I found a nice older watch, religious charm and sweet silver ring with a turquoise stone but they were all buried 3-4 inches down and the ATP picked them up even with the low sens setting and with how fast I was moving. I already had confidence in the machine but I gained a little more after that hunt :thumbsup:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of the one way signals I get are nails, but they could always be coins. It really kind of depends on your surroundings. If you're at a park i'd dig, if at a farm, maybe not, just depends on whats in the ground. You never know, that's the fun. If you don't dig them, then you do decide to later, and find an old coin, you'll kick yourself for all the ones you might have missed. Coins go in all different directions!

Happy Hunting!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A signal like that get's my attention fast!:thumbsup: If it's deep,it's old,even if it's trash!

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if you get a signal, sweep over it and the signal fades away ?

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig all those deep or should i say weak but positive signals. A few weeks ago I needed a beep fix so I grabbed the Pro and hit my yard for the millionth time. I received the bing I know all to well but I had no number or no depth, I locked in on the signal and dug. About a foot down I pulled a brass dog license and a silver quarter that were sitting on top of each other. Dig, dig, dig if you hear the beep.

The only time I think long and hard is when I am doing a site loaded with coal ashes. Ashes are loaded with hot rocks and they drive me nuts. A few beeps and I dig a few then I know the sound and number and I pass.

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What if you get a signal, sweep over it and the signal fades away ?
If it's a "one way" signal it can be a coin,on edge,or being "masked" by another object! If it fades away (and you can't find it anymore),I wouldn't dig it,that sounds like a false signal to me:icon_scratch:! If I get a faint signal,then turn around 90 degrees and get the same signal,it's gonna get dug! It's almost a habit,that I have, when I get a hit ( good signal)! I turn around it 90 degrees and sweep the target again. This is also why I use the pinpoint feature very little on the ATP! After making a X across the target,I know where it's at,without pin pointing!:thumbsup: Ron

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get an iffy signal I circle the target while swinging, sometimes as you circle it, the signal will become solid. You can also try a tight wiggle with your coil, only moving it side to side an inch or two. I call it "Fishing out the target" because a lot of times its a good target with trash beside it.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Repeatable signal is what you are looking for. Now if you are in an area where you have found deep, old coins then you should consider "shooting anything that moves", anything that makes a tone. Those deep ones have a "catch up" signal. They seem like a rubber band that starts out slow then picks up speed, but very short blip. Nice crisp edges, no bleeding.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quote:"Now if you are in an area where you have found deep, old coins then you should consider "shooting anything that moves", anything that makes a tone." That's Good Advice!:thumbsup:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some say that if you auto ground balance and then back the GB down by 5 or 10 manually you will get VID and depth indication that you didn't before backing down the GB. I have only tried it at minus 5 and it does seem to give me better ID on deep targets, and sometimes they become repeatable. Give it a try, it may help you on the odd deep signals.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some say that if you auto ground balance and then back the GB down by 5 or 10 manually you will get VID and depth indication that you didn't before backing down the GB. I have only tried it at minus 5 and it does seem to give me better ID on deep targets, and sometimes they become repeatable. Give it a try, it may help you on the odd deep signals.

I thought the minus 5 was only for the beach but I could be wrong :dontknow:

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'll have to try that next time, thanks!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I almost always drop the GB by 5 after pumping it. It makes the ATP run a "little hotter" and reaches better depth. You can't always do this in some areas though,just depends on the site your at.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread