tannerhatley

May 20, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went beach shooting over the holiday and found lots of metal. Problem is all the metal I found was not what the 350 was telling me. Every piece I found was dinging at the far end for silver coins. Am I not being discriminative enough, is this rusted metal silver or steel or is the beach being a beech? Sarcasm and suggestions are most welcome.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chances are, it was either lead, aluminum, brass, steel etc. More than likely pieces of a beer can (can slaw). I recommend practicing determining the size of the targets while pin pointing. If you still get a strong read 4-5 inches, left/right/above, center of the coil, it's a larger target.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know better than that! Can slaw, pulltabs and all the sh*%t also shows as good targets and must be dug
or you'll miss the good stuff! Sucks but that's the way it is and has always been! Discriminate to much and
you'll miss the chance at a good target..

I went beach shooting over the holiday and found lots of metal. Problem is all the metal I found was not what the 350 was telling me. Every piece I found was dinging at the far end for silver coins. Am I not being discriminative enough, is this rusted metal silver or steel or is the beach being a beech? Sarcasm and suggestions are most welcome.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are, it was either lead, aluminum, brass, steel etc. More than likely pieces of a beer can (can slaw). I recommend practicing determining the size of the targets while pin pointing. If you still get a strong read 4-5 inches, left/right/above, center of the coil, it's a larger target.

Jay is correct - how long have you been at it with your detector? It really takes years to get know your detector and all the signals it is giving you. Patience and time brother!!!!!!:headbang:

OP
OP
T

tannerhatley

May 20, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to guess 10 hrs of actually detecting. I've owned it since May this year.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tann,
Two months isn't enough time bro! Keep at it, you'll start to
get the REAL feel for it. I bought mine May 4th but Ive been doing
this on and off for 10 or more years..
Not saying you aren't doing good, you're doing great! but you'll see what we mean after
a lot more time buddy.
I found this stuff in just two months bro! Yeh some was luck but some is skill
I hope! haha
Cant find the pic of the other gold ring either!
And you know what! Most of this stuff I found at Playgrounds! hahahah
UN believable what people lose!

I would like to guess 10 hrs of actually detecting. I've owned it since May this year.

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 73
  • ring4x4.JPG
    ring4x4.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 84
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 146
  • charm.jpg
    charm.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 75
  • Bear.JPG
    Bear.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 68
  • watch1.jpeg
    watch1.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tannerhatley

May 20, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I was lacking in the experience department, I just needed to hear it for sure and thanks for the tip on playgrounds and the encouragment. Also very interesting finds. I live around 3 playground parks in a two minute walkind distance. Last time I was there I got stopped and asked all about detecting and where to buy one. I referenced them this site for more info. Thanks guys and any more info is helpful. But one last question: why does steel read a silver coins? Semper Fi

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detectors do just that, they detect and determine the conductivity of the metal under the coil or at least a best guess. There are more scientific explanation,but you get the point. Silver is highly conductive so reads high on the meter, while iron is less, gold and nickle fall in the middle.

coryg

Mar 18, 2013
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ace 350 is awful in wet sand/ mineral rich soil...just throwing that out there.

OP
OP
T

tannerhatley

May 20, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know. I have been finding coins but mostly metal chunks and pull tabs and a few nails at the beach. Just more of the metal than anything else.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to know. I have been finding coins but mostly metal chunks and pull tabs and a few nails at the beach. Just more of the metal than anything else.

Pull tab readings at the beach is a good thing because they read the same as gold. Keep digging them and you just might be surprised. I dig every pull tab hit now.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large pieces of metal will read at the far end of the scale, it overloads the discrimination. A good way to know if something is a big piece of metal is to swing over it again with the coil 10-12 inches off the sand. If you still get a signal, it's a big target, can, iron, steel, etc. A coin or ring will lose the signal at that height above the sand.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That also works great in regular dirt, can save a lot of time digging

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tannerhatley

May 20, 2013
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I have been finding at Lake Michigan beach that's reading the far right silver.

image-3899748641.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread