ACE 250 beats a Minelab?

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Finally ran into another detectorist (?) or should I say someone with a detector! It was in a school yard that butts up next to a public park. It looked like he was using a Minelab with the biggest coil I’ve ever seen…maybe 15 or 16 inches. He was hunting in a sporadic pattern. For lack of a better word I’ll say “willy nilly”…in no particular style. Let’s say he wasn’t happy to see me. I asked, “What kind of coil are you using?” He replied, “None of your F@#$KNG business!” Okay! I said, “well I see 9 big holes…you cover them NOW or I’ll use my cell phone to call the police and have you evicted.” He said, “So, you’re one of THOSE jerks!” I just pulled out me cell phone and he went and covered up the holes. I moved across the field and hunted the other side…not bad. He left after 20 minutes. Guess he got tired of covering up the holes. I went over to where he was and hunted my usual pattern…low and slow along a grid and found the tons of stuff he missed: 14 clad pennies, 3 copper pennies, 11 dimes, 9 quarters, 8 nickels, 1 teacher’s whistle (cleaned the mud out and it worked perfectly…too cool!) and…a EURO!!! I was going to put this in the NEWBIE section to follow good technique or how my ACE 250 beat a Minelab but even though he had a great machine, he had bad technique with the wrong coil for the job. Plus, he probably didn’t know what he was doing (besides digging holes). Incidently, on the detector, both the whistle and the EURO read between the penny mark and the dime mark. I would have guessed it was a clad penny and was PLEASANTLY surprised!
Arboles.JPG Euro front.JPG Euro backside.JPG

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jerks like that,give the hobby a bad name!:angry9:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a month ago I tried a new tot lot and there was this young guy about 20 years old with a high dollar Minelab ,he was swinging it to high off the ground,and it was making all kinds of weird sounds.He tells me that there's nothing here except foil and junk,so I set up about 20 feet away,turn on my Ace 250,the first swing gets me a nickle and then 2 penny's.I look up and he's starring at me.So I get a strong penny sound and instead of digging it I tell him to bring over his detector he swings and it makes a sound.We both look at each other and he smiles,so I let him dig it up.I tell him to go home & get on this web sight and Youtube and watch as many videos on his machine that he can,I tell him to make a coin garden in the backyard and learn it.He tells me that his dad bought it about a year ago to find his wife's wedding ring in the backyard and that no one has used it since.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
About a month ago I tried a new tot lot and there was this young guy about 20 years old with a high dollar Minelab ,he was swinging it to high off the ground,and it was making all kinds of weird sounds.He tells me that there's nothing here except foil and junk,so I set up about 20 feet away,turn on my Ace 250,the first swing gets me a nickle and then 2 penny's.I look up and he's starring at me.So I get a strong penny sound and instead of digging it I tell him to bring over his detector he swings and it makes a sound.We both look at each other and he smiles,so I let him dig it up.I tell him to go home & get on this web sight and Youtube and watch as many videos on his machine that he can,I tell him to make a coin garden in the backyard and learn it.He tells me that his dad bought it about a year ago to find his wife's wedding ring in the backyard and that no one has used it since.

Must have been a heck of a wedding ring to buy a high dollar Minelab just to find it! Great job helping out the young guy get started right!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Finally ran into another detectorist (?) or should I say someone with a detector! It was in a school yard that butts up next to a public park. It looked like he was using a Minelab with the biggest coil I’ve ever seen…maybe 15 or 16 inches. He was hunting in a sporadic pattern. For lack of a better word I’ll say “willy nilly”…in no particular style. Let’s say he wasn’t happy to see me. I asked, “What kind of coil are you using?” He replied, “None of your F@#$KNG business!” Okay! I said, “well I see 9 big holes…you cover them NOW or I’ll use my cell phone to call the police and have you evicted.” He said, “So, you’re one of THOSE jerks!” I just pulled out me cell phone and he went and covered up the holes. I moved across the field and hunted the other side…not bad. He left after 20 minutes. Guess he got tired of covering up the holes. I went over to where he was and hunted my usual pattern…low and slow along a grid and found the tons of stuff he missed: 14 clad pennies, 3 copper pennies, 11 dimes, 9 quarters, 8 nickels, 1 teacher’s whistle (cleaned the mud out and it worked perfectly…too cool!) and…a EURO!!! I was going to put this in the NEWBIE section to follow good technique or how my ACE 250 beat a Minelab but even though he had a great machine, he had bad technique with the wrong coil for the job. Plus, he probably didn’t know what he was doing (besides digging holes). Incidently, on the detector, both the whistle and the EURO read between the penny mark and the dime mark. I would have guessed it was a clad penny and was PLEASANTLY surprised!
View attachment 827109 View attachment 827113 View attachment 827115
You never know what kinds you will come across out there...

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice good for u I frigin hate people who dig holes not plugs theres a place for holes ( Woods) & a place for plugs ( nice places w/ grass) its rediculus I mean ur on the ground how hard is it to at least swipe the dirt back in the hole befor u stand stupid. I probly would have pushed him in the hole watch him break his ankle & say c told ya u should filled in the holes

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice good for u I frigin hate people who dig holes not plugs theres a place for holes ( Woods) & a place for plugs ( nice places w/ grass) its rediculus I mean ur on the ground how hard is it to at least swipe the dirt back in the hole befor u stand stupid. I probly would have pushed him in the hole watch him break his ankle & say c told ya u should filled in the holes
Problem is with that type of character he would have sued you lol!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is with that type of character he would have sued you lol!

I know it isnt like it used to b anymore now its run to ur phone call a lawyer instead of the old lets take it outside crazy

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 827109 View attachment 827113 View attachment 827115

Crazy man.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did better than I would have with that guy. Cops would have been there for me with that kind of disrespect. I hope I never run across that kind of guy. Good finds though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread