Garrett 250 beep beep beep

Orient-250

Greenie
Jul 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Am new to the hobby and enjoying it, although no finds yet.

Spend a few hours on the beach today and I get a lot of beeps.... Than beep disappears and never returns ... Walk on , beep beep ... Ok locate the beep and pin point .... Now it pinpoints all over the place .... Dig, nothing there.

So I throw some coins on the sand, damn these disappear quickly... Located all of them though.

The wet sand sort of just beeps all the time .../ discriminate some bleeps and still nothing.

I must be doing it wrong or found the one beach with bleeping sand but no metal, no garbage.... Just nothing

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375522970.217421.jpg

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new 250. They are a great entry level unit and very capable detector. But like with all entry level units without adjustable ground balance, there may be a problem in the sand, especially salt water sand as there are minerals in salt water that effect signals. Try lowering your sensitivity as much as necessary. This may work in fresh water. Good luck and HH.

OP
OP
Orient-250

Orient-250

Greenie
Jul 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coil got wet in the salt water, is that a bad thing?

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The saltwater won't hurt the coil, just clean it when done. As for the 250 in saltwater or wet sand...i doubt it will work at all. It will hit on the black sand and salt which produces false targets. I recommend staying in the dry sand only on saltwater beaches

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The saltwater won't hurt the coil, just clean it when done. As for the 250 in saltwater or wet sand...i doubt it will work at all. It will hit on the black sand and salt which produces false targets. I recommend staying in the dry sand only on saltwater beaches

Good advice, I found that most actual targets at the beach were 2-4" deep. After that I was getting a lot of false hits. Good luck!

OP
OP
Orient-250

Orient-250

Greenie
Jul 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.....

It seems the beach is basically under water on high tide for the most part, and under about 2 inch of dry sand is the black sand, which would than explain the false positives.

There is a massive festival on my local park this weekend (Japanese matsuri) with thousands of people getting drunk and dancing, so I might hit the park on Monday, beach is too far anyways for regular hunting.

Thanks for the kind comments, a lot of learning this hobby

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will love the Ace...Nice detector and you can swing it all day without paying for it that night. I have used mine on the beach and does pretty good on the dry sand. Wet sand will set it off sporadically. Have fun and the best of luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions