Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This same thing kind of happened to me this summer,I went to a Tot-lot to go detecting and there was a young kid in his 20's,with a high dollar Minelab. It was making all kinds of weird noises.He tells me that he's been over the whole lot and didn't find anything worth keeping,no money.So I go about 10 feet over from him & start up my Ace 250,my first swing gets a quarter signal.I drop to my knees and dig down about 2 inches and pull out a 2010 quarter,I swing again and pull out 2 penny's,I look over at him and his jaw drops.Long story short,the detector is his dad's,dad bought and used it once to find his wife's wedding ring in the backyard,son sees it a gives it a try(his 1st. time using the detector).

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I've Already Cleared That Area With My Minelab, You're Wasting Your Time" Part 2

Hi Folks,
Well, on Friday the 13th, my family and I headed back to the infamous spot that was cleared with some guy's MineLab Etrac, and the targets were "Too deep for an AT Pro with a 5x8". Quite honestly, my expectations were lower than usual, as I had already had a good day of detecting here a month ago, and I figured after speaking to some locals this weekend that it has been pretty well picked through. A couple of the locals said that there were quite a few people out there with detectors recently. Boy was I wrong... I actually did so well that I'm heading back to this honey hole next weekend to do it all over again. It really makes me think how well I'd have done if nobody else had detected here before. Here's my story.

We got to the spot on Friday the 13th, after getting to our campground and setting up everything. Then we hopped in the truck and headed back out to the known area that I did well on last month. It was already almost evening, so I was in a bit of a rush to see what I could find. Right away I got lucky and found a couple Wheaties, which is always a welcome sign. Not long after that, just before it got dark, I got a nice clear beautiful ring in my phones. It rang up as an 83 on my display, and sure enough, it was a nice and shiny 1941 Mercury Dime staring back at me. Nice and deep, probably about 7-8 inches. (Note: I was running my machine hot, I ground balanced it, then I dropped it by 10-15. Soil conditions were beautiful, nice and moist, easy to cut in to) Then the darkness really set in, so I was just swinging on the way back to my truck, and I got another signal. This time it was a larger Tootsie Toy Bus! I've never found a larger one of these!

Saturday Morning I got up bright and early and headed back out to do some more. I love when you get that gut feeling that you're going to find some silver, and then you do. I searched some new area, along with the old common ground I've done before. I was lucky and found my first, a 1904 V Nickel, in the area I thought I went over last month. I also found a couple wheats and another silver dime in that area before moving into some other spots in the area I thought might be good. I was really amazed at how many Wheat Pennies I was able to find on this trip too, always a very good sign. I ended up breaking my last record of 2 silver dimes in one day, and found 4 total on Saturday. I couldn't have been happier. I even found a 1973 Canadian Dime, which at first we thought was silver, as it was nice and shiny in the hole. (Most American Dimes seem to dull pretty good after being in the ground that long if they're not silver) Still, I'm more than happy with 4 in one day! The last one came just after my son comes up and shows me a 4 leaf clover he found. About 2 minutes later, I popped that 1964 Rosie out. I guess he was just my good luck charm this weekend! Just before getting into my truck, I found 2 more Wheaties, but then I had to call it a night, as I promised my son a bonfire and s'mores. I was going to hit the spot I found the last 2 pennies right away in the morning if possible, since they were in a spot I hadn't checked before.

Sunday Morning I was going to run out and try to hunt before we had to pack up and head home, but there was very heavy winds and cold rain going on outside, and I didn't have the right clothing to go out and hunt in these conditions. The temperatures have been nuts up north here the last couple weeks, high and low. Oh well, I still had an awesome chunk of change for a day and a half of hunting!

Well, here's some pics of my finds this weekend. I did pull some trash, but not as much as usual. I'll pull trash though if it means I can find more silver like this! I'm really learning and loving my AT Pro. I hope you enjoyed sharing the experience with me! Just remember, areas are never truly hunted out, they're just waiting for someone to swing their coil over the right spots!

Happy Hunting, and Good Luck!

Attachments

• 1904 V Nickel 2.jpg
    1904 V Nickel 2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 1904 V Nickel 3.jpg
    1904 V Nickel 3.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 1904 V Nickel 4.jpg
    1904 V Nickel 4.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 1904 V Nickel.jpg
    1904 V Nickel.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 1938.jpg
    1938.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 81
  • 1941.jpg
    1941.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 1957.jpg
    1957.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 1963.jpg
    1963.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 1964.jpg
    1964.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Cars 2.jpg
    Cars 2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Cars 3.jpg
    Cars 3.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Michigan Non Silver.jpg
    Michigan Non Silver.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Canadian.jpg
    Canadian.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes ya just wanna sell that piece of crap ATP and go and get an ET doesn't it!

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Kidding, lol! I think I found out what the problem is though. I think some of those detectors, though capable, are just too complicated, and people are passing up too much good stuff because they're cherry picking with their high dollar machines. I'd rather dig some trash, and a few pop tabs, etc. and get some coins. You figure, in the time they take to listen to the tone over and over, then decide not to dig, they could have probably already dug the thing and taken it out of the ground.

All I know is just when I ever start to doubt my machine because it didn't cost 2 grand, instances like this come along and blow my mind. I'll never be selling this, and my 5x8 will be staying on!

Thanks for the Reply Fella, Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all is well!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always love hearing people say that....its pretty much saying...."Dont hunt this area..im not done with it."...I find shii that the Etrac didnt find all the time...it has nothing to do with what machine..or how many times a place has been hit....what it really is a matter of...is the fact that you put your coil over that area the right way...my hunting buddy and I go to places that we have "Hunted out"...and still find Silver...BIG Silver at that....The ground changes alot and moves things to better spots....Plus some people swing to fast...it could be tons of things...But I know from my expericance...it isnt because an Etrac hit it...lol

I love hearing stubborn people like that talk...i can only imagine what there "Home" life is

Silverfishin

Greenie
Jan 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the guy forgot to turn on his headphones. I really cant see this happening. The areas I detected with my Etrac already, we go back and hardly find anything there anymore with my CTX and wifes ATpro. (Few clad$) and just the penny and iron signals. ..Maybe your just the God of MDing.

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:) I think most of it is the User's fault, and like you said, you gotta swing your coil in the right spots too. I know I miss stuff, I'm still pulling silver out of the ground at my Grandpa's farmstead that I've hunted over and over and over, and I know I've missed it. The thing that really makes me laugh about this story though is the fact that he told me he was doing so awesome with his Etrac that he was going to buy a 3030 and sell his POS AT Pro that he hated. It doesn't sound like he had learned either one fully yet. I know I have over 100 hours on mine, and I'm still learning tips and tricks to it. Oh well, everyone's different and has their thing. :)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) I think most of it is the User's fault, and like you said, you gotta swing your coil in the right spots too. I know I miss stuff, I'm still pulling silver out of the ground at my Grandpa's farmstead that I've hunted over and over and over, and I know I've missed it. The thing that really makes me laugh about this story though is the fact that he told me he was doing so awesome with his Etrac that he was going to buy a 3030 and sell his POS AT Pro that he hated. It doesn't sound like he had learned either one fully yet. I know I have over 100 hours on mine, and I'm still learning tips and tricks to it. Oh well, everyone's different and has their thing. :)

Oh yea...Alot of people seem to jump on the bandwagon with new machines before they ever learn the old one...I have had my ATPRO for over 3 years and there are things im still learning..and I use it about 15-20 hours a week...I also dig alot of trash signals and find good stuff because of things being masked...So again..there is NO Place that is hunted out...things always turn up...Not to mentio the ATPRO LOVES finding gold :occasion14:

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To each their own I guess. My AT Pro works enough for me, and it fits the budget!

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had something similar happen. A guy in my area swings a Whites V3i. He told me that he cleaned a certain place out after hunting it quite a few times. I went to that field with my Fisher F2. The first day I found a .925 ring, a .925 earring, a platinum earring, and another ring that isn't marked. Plus 2 different necklace pendants. The next weekend I hit it again and found a huge costume jewelry earring and a 14K GOLD and Diamond earring! So much for him cleaning it out! Score one for the F2 baby!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly right Sapper724! That is the most important thing when it comes to all of these different metal detectors your detector works for you and your style of hunting and it fits your budget... which makes you a happy detectorist! Honestly, the guy with the Etrac probably should not have had that large coil for park hunting. 99% of the parks I have hunted are iron infested, so therefore when he thought he would use the large coil to get those deep targets he was actually doing the opposite because of all the targets ferrous and non ferrous under his coil at the same time. Which on the other hand you with your 5x8 coil was actually getting more depth and having great finds!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And Again!

Well, I went back to the spot last weekend, the 20th and 21st, just to see if I had missed anything obvious. Sure enough, I found another 22 wheats, along with my oldest wheat to date, a 1918, and these nice shiny coins. I'm guessing due to all of the wheat pennies, that this area was cherry picked, someone didn't want to dig the copper penny signals, which is fine with me, I still love digging them. (Plus, I think it's making them miss all these dimes) I spoke to 3 people while I was there, all who said they had metal detectors, and one who said he never found anything good in the area. I'm guessing either he doesn't know his machine too good, or he's fibbing. Either way, the 1956 dime and the non tarnished 1947 dime came out of the same area along with all the wheats, and the other tarnished 47 dime and my FIRST SILVER QUARTER, a 1948S, came out of a new spot I checked out.

I've said it once, and I'll keep saying it over and over, I LOVE MY AT PRO AND MY 5x8 COIL...

Take care all, and Happy Hunting!

-Ron

Attachments

• 47 Dime from....jpg
    47 Dime from....jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 47 Dime.jpg
    47 Dime.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 48 Quarter.jpg
    48 Quarter.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 56 Dime from....jpg
    56 Dime from....jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 70
  • All coins.jpg
    All coins.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
22 Wheats and some nice silvers! WOW! Nice!

Thanks fella, yeah now I have pulled over 50 wheats from that area, 7 silver dimes, 1 V Nickel, 6 or 7 toy cars, and lots of clad. It's really thinning out now though. I'm sure I've still missed some, but now the pickings are slower.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a park today I hunted a lot last year and decided to go back because they hold a festival each year in late July but I was to busy back then. I started out and within 10' I had 2 quarters when a nice guy walks up and says you won't find anything other a penny or two I was to lazy to pluck. I said i did good here last year and said maybe so but this year I hunter every inch of this place with my e-trac and it's clean. Clean it was of trash. It was easy to see where he'd dug because he made no effort in covering his holes, meaning the dirt was kicked in and not place back with sod on top.

Anyway after about 10 mins i was thinking he was right because i hadn't hit anything then boom, a quarter, 3 dimes and a nickel in about 100'. I hit that area for an hour and found about $2.40 then i went to the tot lot because he told me it was a waste of time. It was in the areas around the equipment and in the mulch but in the grass around it I Found another $2.37 a worthless ring and someones piercing for heaven knows what but it was silver. So was it him or his machine that missed the $4.77 or was it me being more careful with my ATP.

My belief as has been stated many times before is man knowing his machine that equals success.

I am sure there are guys that been doing it for years that would out hunt me on a machine that is 25 yrs old because they know it but there are guys with high dollar machines that won't find anymore than a kid with an $99 machine.

Anyway I did have a nice day for 2-1/2 hrs out.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Good going Sapper. :occasion14:

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My theory on the lack of silver does not exclude cherry picking, but coin drops in the day..... penny's are always more tarnished unless new unlike silver that remains shinny and would of been easier gathering if drop in the day..... I hunted a new site today using the 5x8 that's heavily littered with pull tabs and found 5 wheat's and a War Nickel along with many clad and zinc penny's, the ground was very dry in that location and I'm sure it contains silver even if it was cherry picked..... I plan to hit it again when the ground get's saturated with water using both coils the 5x8 and the 8.5 x 11 coils....

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love the One-uppers on TNet ... Hey! You get what you pay for, and, if you learn how to use it, you just may get your monies worth.
My AT Pro paid for itself twice over in less then eight weeks. I may move up to a more expensive machine, will it get me better deeper finds, I can't answer that at this time, only time will tell.
I know one thing though, some MD'ers on here are like some fishermen I know; your equipment sucks "you should have seen the one I got at four feet down" with my equipment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread