Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I've Already Cleared That Area With My Minelab, You're Wasting Your Time"

These were the words I heard yesterday, which by the way, was my best detecting day to date. We were at a park, and this guy pulls up telling me he's there for the same reason I am, to detect. We spoke for a little bit, and he told me about how he cleared another area and it was "cleared out with his Minelab E-Trac". He had a HUGE coil on it, it looked about twice the size of my 10x13. He also told me my AT Pro wouldn't touch anything if it was left there, because it would be too deep.

So, later yesterday, I went to the spot he was talking about, me and my AT Pro with the 5x8 inch coil. Guess how it went? Pictures are worth a thousand words...

Cars.jpg Coins.jpg Dime in Hole.jpg Second Round Finds.jpg

I had the best day so far. I found not one, but TWO silver! My 5th and 6th of the year, a 48 and 52 Rosie. I also got my first Half Dollar ever, which was a 74, which after I get it cleaned up, I'll see if it's the double stamped version. I also found 3 wheat pennies, a 24, a 41 and a 52. The two pictures of the piles of coins are from the first half of my hunt and second half of my hunt. I found the first bunch, cleared out my bag because I had some large trash, then went out again, and got the coins that are in the big pile. Along with all the coins, I found 5 toy cars, 2 of them Tootsie Toys, and 1 of them a Jeep Midget Version which I believe is also a Tootsie Toy. The Matchbox sports car looks newer but has a stamp date of 1974. Also along with that, is my 5th ring of the year. It might be gold plated, I'm not sure, it's showing some signs of corrosion, and I don't believe gold would look like this.

The silver finds were deep, at least 6-8 inches, and run up beautifully with my smaller coil. In fact, I was very surprised and satisfied with how deep I was getting tones! (I got a couple of pieces of beaver tails, the tails only, at around the 12-14 inch range. The soil was good and moist, and I was running my machine at GB -10, full sens, Pro Zero with 0 Disc.

I LOVE THIS MACHINE!

So, the point of the story is, just because someone says they've already hunted an area with a $2000 machine, it doesn't mean that they have found everything, although it is nice that someone took the trash out of the area before I hunted. :laughing7: Remember, someone with a $200 machine and experienced in it can out hunt a person with a $3000 machine if that person doesn't know how to run it properly. Now did the person who I spoke to know how to run it properly? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. All I can say is, I'm learning mine, and I'm sticking to my guns. My $600 setup works just fine, I'd rather take the other $1400 or so and use it for beer money, gas to get to areas, vacation time, etc. THANK YOU GARRETT!!! :notworthy:

-Ron-

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But but but...it's hunted out by a ML! LOL AWESOME!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol fella, I was smiling the whole time, and I was thinking how funny you'd think it was! I'll never doubt my AT Pro or 5x8 coil again!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol fella, I was smiling the whole time, and I was thinking how funny you'd think it was! I'll never doubt my AT Pro or 5x8 coil again!

I'll never doubt mine either. It does more than a fine job. It has its limits but I'm perfectly content knowing it can hit 9" silver dimes.

Love stories like this. (regardless of brand)

Mr Minelab's coil probably had 7-8 targets under it at all times and the tool (operator) wouldn't even know it! Guy should have just kept his pie hole shut!

dirtfishingdave

May 2, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx3030,Fisher f75, Whites DFX with Sunray probe, Fisher gold bug 2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche hand shovel, Raven from Predator tools. Detectors I used to use: Minelab explorer se, Fisher f
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the place where you were going to detect at was a really good spot or location. The other guy probably didn't want you to dig all the goodies!! If I were you I would definitely be there tomorrow and the next day until I cleaned up with ATP! Nice finds, but can your ATP hit a dime at 12+ inches? Just wondering? I have owned a variety of different types of detectors, Garretts, fishers, whites, and minelabs. I think it depends on how well you know your machine, anyways great job on the cleanup!!:)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt Dave, I'm sure Minelabs are more than capable machines, with the homework and time put in learning them. I like my simpler AT Pro though. As for dimes at 12 plus inches? Well, I wouldn't know. Yesterday's silver at 8-9 inches came in nice and clear with the small coil, and those were the deepest ones I've dug so far. I get your point, but in my area I really don't get that deep of targets often, so the AT Pro works great for my situation. If I lived out east, where the towns were older, I might be singing a different tune. ;)

Happy Hunting!

-Ron

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sapper724!! Looks as if you could have made an instructional video for the gentleman with the souped up unit!! Really Neat Finds in a burned out site!! Love that ATP!! Simple, Swift and Superior! In any event CONGRATS on a Really GOOD HUNT!! Best Of Luck!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Verde!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Verde!
Yeah,Ron! You need to get ahold of him and ask if he knows where there are any more sites he has cleaned out!:laughing7: Tell him,you like leftovers!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No kidding! Id follow him around like a shadow!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sapper awesome tectin work but the guy that "cleaned" that site out with brand X whooda been better off with a Radio Shack he couldnt find a word in a dictionary nor the time of day it seems.

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sapper awesome tectin work but the guy that "cleaned" that site out with brand X whooda been better off with a Radio Shack he couldnt find a word in a dictionary nor the time of day it seems.
Most people think you can buy the best machine and it will make a difference,but the operators skill,is what makes the biggest difference!:thumbsup:

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These were the words I heard yesterday, which by the way, was my best detecting day to date. We were at a park, and this guy pulls up telling me he's there for the same reason I am, to detect. We spoke for a little bit, and he told me about how he cleared another area and it was "cleared out with his Minelab E-Trac". He had a HUGE coil on it, it looked about twice the size of my 10x13. He also told me my AT Pro wouldn't touch anything if it was left there, because it would be too deep.

So, later yesterday, I went to the spot he was talking about, me and my AT Pro with the 5x8 inch coil. Guess how it went? Pictures are worth a thousand words...

View attachment 845084 View attachment 845085 View attachment 845086 View attachment 845087

I had the best day so far. I found not one, but TWO silver! My 5th and 6th of the year, a 48 and 52 Rosie. I also got my first Half Dollar ever, which was a 74, which after I get it cleaned up, I'll see if it's the double stamped version. I also found 3 wheat pennies, a 24, a 41 and a 52. The two pictures of the piles of coins are from the first half of my hunt and second half of my hunt. I found the first bunch, cleared out my bag because I had some large trash, then went out again, and got the coins that are in the big pile. Along with all the coins, I found 5 toy cars, 2 of them Tootsie Toys, and 1 of them a Jeep Midget Version which I believe is also a Tootsie Toy. The Matchbox sports car looks newer but has a stamp date of 1974. Also along with that, is my 5th ring of the year. It might be gold plated, I'm not sure, it's showing some signs of corrosion, and I don't believe gold would look like this.

The silver finds were deep, at least 6-8 inches, and run up beautifully with my smaller coil. In fact, I was very surprised and satisfied with how deep I was getting tones! (I got a couple of pieces of beaver tails, the tails only, at around the 12-14 inch range. The soil was good and moist, and I was running my machine at GB -10, full sens, Pro Zero with 0 Disc.

I LOVE THIS MACHINE!

So, the point of the story is, just because someone says they've already hunted an area with a $2000 machine, it doesn't mean that they have found everything, although it is nice that someone took the trash out of the area before I hunted. :laughing7: Remember, someone with a $200 machine and experienced in it can out hunt a person with a $3000 machine if that person doesn't know how to run it properly. Now did the person who I spoke to know how to run it properly? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. All I can say is, I'm learning mine, and I'm sticking to my guns. My $600 setup works just fine, I'd rather take the other $1400 or so and use it for beer money, gas to get to areas, vacation time, etc. THANK YOU GARRETT!!! :notworthy:

-Ron-
That was great finds whether the place was hunted out or not!

Sounds to me that either the guy was trying to discourage you from hunting there, or he is not that familiar with his e-trac. (or quite possibly the latter and he is just stuck on himself) I don't own an e-trac (which is an upgraded explorer (to me)), but I do own an Explorer II and since I have learned my Explorer II, I can usually go over a place i've hunted with my ATP or GTI 2500 and make more finds; but not vice versa.
The minelabs need the correct coil for the area/situation one is hunting and one has to be aware of the sounds being emitted to get the most out of it.
If someone shows up with an ATPro after I deem a spot cleaned out with my explorer, I am going to watch him closely and if he picks up more targets from the area....He and I are going to be friends..Cause I want to know what he is doing differently with his ATP than I do.

Thats just me...but I think a lot of other MD'rs also share that opinion

Roy

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't take everything at face value. If I had to guess, he was probably trying to get you to move on down the road. Also Digger2 the Etrac is not just an upgraded Explorer. There are many differences between the two.

Last edited:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 845084 View attachment 845085 View attachment 845086 View attachment 845087

I LOVE THIS MACHINE!

-Ron-

You will not believe this, but......I went to this park and there were 25 hunters with every machine ever made and they hunted all day. I walked up with my E-Trac and they said "go on, get outta here - it's hunted out and we took everything". So, I waited until they were all gone and I started detecting the park - I found 89 gold pieces at 20" and 56 silver coins at 22" - it was great.
I have been following these people all over the USA...........It's been a BLAST!!!!!

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will not believe this, but......I went to this park and there were 25 hunters with every machine ever made and they hunted all day. I walked up with my E-Trac and they said "go on, get outta here - it's hunted out and we took everything". So, I waited until they were all gone and I started detecting the park - I found 89 gold pieces at 20" and 56 silver coins at 22" - it was great.
I have been following these people all over the USA...........It's been a BLAST!!!!!

I don't know if this is a sad attempt at sarcasm, someone who loves to tell tall tales, or someone who just doesn't believe me. Either way, I don't care. If I was going to lie about my finds, I would have used.more and nicer ones than I found.

Yes, I know maybe the guy was trying to throw me off, but my point was, your machine is only as good as the operator. We had his types in yhe Army. We called yhem PX Rangers. Buy everything you can, and you'll be the best. As most of the people on here know though, that's not true. Im not brand bashing here, I'm pointing out that this individual was very stereotypical of that.

Have a nice day, and dont spend all your gold coins at once!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Sapper, to hell with the dude givin ya a bum steer on that hot spot. You got the spot. Just get in there and clean that frikin place out and get the hell outa there as soon as possible before its too late.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Good assortment of finds Sapper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread