New guy with at pro concern

HDTECH

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While i am new to the hobby and the at pro is new to me, i believe i might be having an issue. Using the at pro is awesome and very user/ beginner friendly. BUT i used it in the water 3 times so far, just 6 inches at most and i have an issue. After coming out of the water the at pro acts completely crazy. good and bad tones going off at random, and also if i bump into anything i mean anything it gives a false good signal. i tried re balancing, frequency changing, and sensitivity and mode change but it had no effect. after about an hr of "drying out" it went back to normal. has anyone experienced this? it is extremely frustrating. thank you

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say you either have a leaking coil connector as said above or a hairline crack in your coil letting moisture in. If you know someone with a pro borrow their coil and see if that fixes your problem.

Brooklynhunter

Jul 16, 2013
Good point. My bud has an AT Pro in the water with it at beach weekly. Never gives him trouble. I would unsoect the entire coil wire carefully. Check your connectore. Discinnect and blow out with conpressed air. Let them sit ooen to the air over night. Carefully reattach the xoil and try it out again . Good luck

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a leaking coil to me too.

Call Garrett Customer Service 1 (800) 527-4011

Tell them the problem and they will give you the answer or replace a defective part.

I have dealt with them a few times and each time I was always satisfied with the outcome.

OP
OP
H

HDTECH

Aug 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, i called Garrett. He directed me to check all connections and replace batteries.connection wasw good. Granted when i used it in the water, it never got wet. I only went in about 6 inches with it. He instructed me to change batteries and try agian and let him know if it still does it.
Anybody in the Albany, NY area have an at pro that would be willing to meet up at a water site and swap coils for a minute!? my cousine has an ace 250 would that have the same connector?

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 250 coil connector is different.

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the same problem yesterday....see my post "AT Pro goes nutts!" I haven't figured out the culprit yet, but I'm betting it was moisture in my coil connector....and....I've never submerged mine either in the last few weeks....
Also, were you in salt water? Occasionally the ATP will "false when transitioning from wet sand into the water and vice versa. And yes, it will "false" when it bumps the ground. Just play around with the sensitivity, after a good ground balance. Some days mine runs quiet as a mouse (wet sand/surf, GB 10-20, sensitivity 4+, Pro Zero, disc 40, channel 1). and when i get a hit, it will actually scare me. Other days she can be chatty no matter what I do...it just depends on the beach...
Take your time and learn the nuances of the ATP and she will perform well. I got mine in June and have close to 200 hours on it and I'm still learning....Good luck and HH...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread