ATP observations

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only had my atp a few months so every trip out with it is a learning experience.Something ive recently noticed I want to share and see if anyone else has same experiences. I almost never use pin pointing,Ive had good luck x ing the target,pulling back and target is off front of coil where it says garrett and that works good with most targets including large iron targets. But I have found when its a large non ferrous item such as aluminum cans,or melted cans with my pin pointing method it pin points off the back of the coil,and loses the signal mostly when target is under the center of the coil. Im learning...lol....will probably be posting more of these observations in the future as they happen to me.....thanx barry

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good way to pinpoint. You get target size and location at the same time. You can also lift the coil off the ground 3-4 inches and if it's still hitting strong it's usually a can or larger iron. Then take your handheld pinpointer and check the target. If it doesn't pick it up its probably a larger target deeper down and not a surface target.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good info for pinpointing the Atpro is a great machine by far easy yo learn & keeps up with no issue with high end ones, I to barely used that pinpoint feature I was mainly using the Same as u x method & then lift up the coil to see If it mayb a large can of some sort, more you play with its settings better ur gonna be good luck to ya hh

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know my ATP had a pin point feature!:laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will learn things about your machine that are not in the manual...my AT Pro has an overload signal on large targets and that's not a feature in the manual...when I pinpoint over a large shallow target the audio drops to a little hum that you can barely hear...its always a large shallow target and its the only time it ever sounds like that...has anyone else discovered this?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will learn things about your machine that are not in the manual...my AT Pro has an overload signal on large targets and that's not a feature in the manual...when I pinpoint over a large shallow target the audio drops to a little hum that you can barely hear...its always a large shallow target and its the only time it ever sounds like that...has anyone else discovered this?

I have noticed the null effect pinpointing a large target also. Kinda reverses the normal pinpointing audio.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread