5x8 for AT pro

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
He will find it way easier to swing for longer periods. Almost same depth as the stock coil. Much easier to pin point with as well especially if he's in the surf.

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked a 5X8 last week and it is going to be in the 50s on Sunday. Finally I can get some quality time...
Of course it might be accompanied by 50MPH winds.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 5x8 loses around 2 inches of depth over stock coil on average.....but pin points a little better, MUCH LIGHTER, and works great in the trashy areas. I recommend anyone with an ATP to have both coils. Great for yards, parks, small lots and anywhere trashy. Big coil for fields and places where deep relics are present!

relicswinger

Jun 19, 2008
Sniper vs 5X8

My 5x8 loses around 2 inches of depth over stock coil on average.....but pin points a little better, MUCH LIGHTER, and works great in the trashy areas. I recommend anyone with an ATP to have both coils. Great for yards, parks, small lots and anywhere trashy. Big coil for fields and places where deep relics are present!

Right on! :hello2: Could not have said it better. :notworthy: Excellent!!! :headbang:

NOVA-Hunter

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2013
Fairfax Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

^^^ Sums up my experience with 5x8 coil as well. I carry both with me and swap out depending on conditions.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Gonna order one for my Pro in time for spring. I've read some really good reviews on the smaller coil. I've got a sniper(about 4.5 ") on my Fisher limited and it will never come off. For parks and old schools you can't beat the smaller coil. Good luck.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5x8 is nice coil so is the stock coil..... interchanging coils all depends on the needs and wants of the user...The weight of the stock coil can be reduced by adjusting the rod lengths, the further out the heavy, the closer the lighter.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5x8 is nice coil so is the stock coil..... interchanging coils all depends on the needs and wants of the user...The weight of the stock coil can be reduced by adjusting the rod lengths, the further out the heavy, the closer the lighter.

But there's a 'happy medium' for everyone....too long make your arm sore...too short will make your back sore.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But there's a 'happy medium' for everyone....too long make your arm sore...too short will make your back sore.

Do you know of any other tidbits from your vast knowledge of metal detecting that may help others.....Didn't think you did either....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i do.......Be very careful with the wording in your TN posts, since it seems that some take offense to everything, when in reality you were only trying to emphasize and "add to" their original post!

Mountainrunner

Greenie
Feb 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't gotten the 5x8 coil yet for my APT as dealer suggested the large concentric coil. I WILL get the small DSL coil but in the meantime work on mastering the stock coil. I have a whites xlt that I replaced with the ATP and for a while I was frustrated with the ATP. But knowing that there is always a learning curve with a new detector I made myself get used to it and now I've close to mastered it. In my opinion the stock coil is great. It's all about learning to let the coil let you know what it's telling you. But in any case each coil will help you. Keep swinging it and you will master whichever one you have on. HH.

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5x8 coil works great in trashy areas. For the stock coil you can get an extension that goes on the back of the detector, that helps so it's not so heavy toward the front.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5x8 coil works great in trashy areas. For the stock coil you can get an extension that goes on the back of the detector, that helps so it's not so heavy toward the front.

Where can you get the extension?

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just ordered the 12 x 9 concentric. I know what to expect. Deep crap.

Gleaner, let me know how that coil works when all of this snow is gone :laughing7: I am thinking of getting one. Still interested in a road trip to Barnes Corners? Going to do it this year.

Paul

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions