Upgraded from Ace 250 to AT Pro

firerescue1965

Greenie
Jan 11, 2008
I have finally upgraded from the 250 to the AT Pro. I have been running the 250 for about three years and was wondering if there will be much of a learning curve. I am looking forward to the new detector as I have read quite a bit of good reviews about it. If any of you have some tricks and tips I would love to hear them. Also I need to thank Bart for the great deal and service!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have finally upgraded from the 250 to the AT Pro. I have been running the 250 for about three years and was wondering if there will be much of a learning curve. I am looking forward to the new detector as I have read quite a bit of good reviews about it. If any of you have some tricks and tips I would love to hear them. Also I need to thank Bart for the great deal and service!

Hey Man!..Congrats on your Updgrade.

I was in the same boat as you...Had my ACE 250 for a few years and got this a couple years ago.

I can tell you honeslty thou. It wasnt as easy of a transistion as I thought it would be. In fact i was a little intemidated by it because I had learned alot of little tricks with teh ACE and was finding alot of good stuff with it.

That being said.
in MY opinion.
'I think you should start in PRO MODE ZERO and notch the iron to like 35-40...The one thing I noticed with the ATP from the ACE..was the fact it will read a steel Screw top as a coin sometimes....So that annoyed the shii out of me...BUT..after complaning on this Site a few times and listening to peoples feedback, I Started to learn that difference with them.

it still gets me every once in a while. But Im much beter at ignoring them now. When you go over one of those apposed to a Coin...the trash is MUCH louder than the coins would be...So if it is screaming at you...alot of times its junk

The deeper the coin , the quieter the signal sounds on the ATP, which is great to determine quickly if somethign is deep or shallow.

Feel Free to hit me up if you got any questions....If it wasnt for this site, i would still be running around in cirlces...lol

good luck man!!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definately a little harder to learn than the ACE but not terrible. Trry to learn the pro mode and you will benefit greatly. The std mode is going to be more like your Ace but the pro mode is what u paid for! I never used std mode and it did take a while to learn but you will learn it. Also, get the 5x8 coil ASAP...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definately a little harder to learn than the ACE but not terrible. Trry to learn the pro mode and you will benefit greatly. The std mode is going to be more like your Ace but the pro mode is what u paid for! I never used std mode and it did take a while to learn but you will learn it. Also, get the 5x8 coil ASAP...

...And everythgin he said...lol

really thou...dont waste your time on the STD mode, it will drive you nuts...and the 5x8 coil is a MUST...You will still find goodies wiht the stock coil..But I noticed a HUGE difference in coils

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember the "Pro" is short for proportional audio. The deeper the target, the lighter the signal tone. So listen for the whispers !

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also noticed in real trashy areas if you run iron up to 33 in pro zero and put iron audio on you will find targets in the iron better. Sure it's noisy but I have found ih cents in same hole as nails this way. I bought the 5x8 and this coil is awesome in the trashy areas. The stock coil still goes back on for open field hunts till it gets a lot of trashy signals than I swap it out for the 5x8. I don't notice any loss of depth either between coils. Oh yea I have noticing my machine works much better if I manual ground balance till there is very little sound or chatter and make sure area is clean you are balancing on. Good luck and hit us up with your questions anytime.

Last edited:

MLively

Jan 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just did the same exact thing. Got my adventure package the other day and can't wait to hit some better areas. I love my 250 but this at pro has a lot more depth. Pro zero mode is definatley the way to go. It's like running in all metal mode on the 250, noisey but the good stuff sounds off good. I did have a hit the other day in the 90's on my VDI but it turned out to be a reflector for a trailer mounted in a steel frame. HH and GL

Proud to be a Texan!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
You will find using the same coil for comparison purposes that the Pro Mode will give you great depth then the ACE. Do learn to hunt in zero disc mode and do hunt with iron audio turned on unless you are just walking over a junk littered carpet. The standard mode will act like an ACE on steroids. You have to turn the sensitivity down for hunting,

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations, you are going to love it!
I picked up my AT Pro right before Christmas and I have about 30 hours on it now and I am starting to get the hang of it.
Check out the videos on Youtube to help you read the sounds this little beauty makes.
Garrett has some great tutorials and so does this guy:

Keep Digging!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very welcome! The Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector | BigBoysHobbies is the best detector for the $ out right now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread