Is my Auto ground balance working improperly?

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the At pro for about 6 months now and have never had any issues ground-balancing. I just moved to NC and have been going to a bunch of new spots. At one of the spots I walked along a creek and you can tell that it floods there often. As others have said I thought it would be a good idea to re- ground balance since I moved to this new area from the yard. Iniitally the numbers didnt change as I held in the ground balance and pumped towards the ground. I held the power down until it reset and tried again with the same results. I pushed the GB button and released it and then manually clicked the numbers down to around 20. I would expect that now the numbers should move towards stable if I pumped and held in the button. They did not. I went to the high side of 99 and it again did not move the numbers at all as I pumped and held the button.

Oddly enough I hit the yard after that and it seemed to GB as normal. I then went to a park and it did the same thing over an area of grass that has all sand underneath (used to be a volleyball pit)

Please help!!!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
If you ground balanced the machine on flood plain, you most likely ground balanced it on very organic or very light and low mineralized deposits, so it was probably like ground balancing in air. I have noticed that on flood plains with recent deposits also.

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so what does it mean if i auto ground balance when i first get to site (lets say it is at 80) then manually turn it all the way down to 20. If I auto ground balance from there itll go to something like 64. I then manually turn the number to 99 and auto balance again and it settles at 89. Is this normal? maybe im not understanding what the ground balancing is doing. The numbers arent settling at the same point depending on where they are settling from.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It should GB at the same number no matter what your starting point is. It's reading the mineralization of the soil and compensating for it. Sounds like something is wrong with the machine.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are auto ground balancing according to the users manual and it is settling at different values, I would call Garrett Customer Service (1-800-527-4011) and talk to them. They will certainly take care of you.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using the At pro for about 6 months now and have never had any issues ground-balancing. I just moved to NC and have been going to a bunch of new spots. At one of the spots I walked along a creek and you can tell that it floods there often. As others have said I thought it would be a good idea to re- ground balance since I moved to this new area from the yard. Iniitally the numbers didnt change as I held in the ground balance and pumped towards the ground. I held the power down until it reset and tried again with the same results. I pushed the GB button and released it and then manually clicked the numbers down to around 20. I would expect that now the numbers should move towards stable if I pumped and held in the button. They did not. I went to the high side of 99 and it again did not move the numbers at all as I pumped and held the button.

Oddly enough I hit the yard after that and it seemed to GB as normal. I then went to a park and it did the same thing over an area of grass that has all sand underneath (used to be a volleyball pit)

Please help!!!

Feel free to call me or Garrett for help. I would be glad to help you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread