Sea Hunter Mark II Question

armycopter

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I am new to MDing and am trying to learn this machine. I am practicing on land until I can use it underwater.

One of the things I have found is that when this machine is turned on in normal mode (not discrete) it "chatters" all the time. In other words, it get intermittent tones even though I do not have the coil over a piece of metal. If I put the coil over a known piece of metal for a second I get a nice steady tone (as expected). The chatter will stop after that for about 15 seconds and then start again.

Is this normal? It happens even when adjusting threshhold and elimination knobs.

I was hoping it would be perfectly quiet until it finds a piece of metal.

It drives me crazy when I actually find a piece of metal and I am digging it because the chatter continues away as I am digging even though I have moved the MD off to the side.

Also, since I am digging in the woods, I have been using a spade. If I get the spade within about three feet of the MD it starts going off. Should I use a different tool to dig? Woods dirt is full of roots and stuff so I feel like I need something sturdy.

Please don't think I am complaining, I am really enjoying the machine and the hobby, I just want to make sure there is not something wrong with the MD. of if there is a better way to use it.

Thank you for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tiderider

Oct 10, 2013
My sea hunter does chatter it runs smooth , I would make sure the connections are clean and tight, and the coil cable is snug around the shaft ,

OP
OP
A

armycopter

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice, thank you I will try that!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this happens to mine occasionally. both on land (not so often) and during SCUBA (more often, maybe due to movement of saltwater?)
I simply pass the coil over my scoop or my boots (eyelets) and this seems to "re-set" it.

I have also found good targets while it was "chattering" and the good target cancelled out the chatter and just left a clear tone.

good luck, its a great machine for sure!!

OP
OP
A

armycopter

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry for the late response. i have been traveling for the past week or so. the mark II works great but it still does chatter. I can reset it which works for a short period but I am getting used to it. I actually spent some time with it this afternoon and found a bunch of rusty square nails and some kind of rivet near an old farmhouse basement. i need to wrap the cord a little tighter like what was suggested but i really do like the machine. it finds everything. sometimes unfortunately!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread