Impressed with AT Gold...

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First time out with AT Gold. Very pleased with ability to 'sniff-out' coins from area littered with foil & bottle caps. Iron Audio is dead reliable, & the 'Tone-roll' is unmistakable. Even picked 1/4 of a penny (mower casualty) out of heavy trash spot.
Glad I read the manual 3 times... everything works as promised.
ps.. I am a little puzzled on the 'depth gauge' reading about 4" too deep. ?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ps.. I am a little puzzled on the 'depth gauge' reading about 4" too deep. ?
Trick to getting an accurate depth reading…Lift coil over target several inches, push PP and come straight down on your target. Give it a try.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth reading is sensitive to a few different factors. First off and main thing you must be centered over the target. If the target is not coin-sized the depth will not read accurately. If the target is on edge it will not be accurate. If another target is nearby, same thing. But you can usually get pretty close with some centering practice. The double d coil takes some work to learn. Practice the different pinpointing techniques and see what works best for you. When you are having trouble, using the one off the toe probably will help you. Hopefully you have watched the instruction videos on the Garrett website.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear ya like it, it is one heck of a "sniffer"! Sounds like you've already discovered that the iron audio feature is very handy. A huge percentage of targets that the iron audio says are junk, are junk. Can save you tons of time on sites that are riddled with rusty nails or bottle caps. Even if you were to put the bigger 8.5x11 coil on it, it still sniffs/seperates out good stuff from between close iron/trash/etc. The gold does like foil, and tiny sized copper, even micro sized stuff, foil is usually 41'ish on the display. I don't even bother looking at the depth readings, not sure if it's "accurate" or not on coins, just dig it and use pinpointer. It'll hit strong on quite a bit of stuff that most machines can't or can hardly see.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the pro and love it so now I'm looking into getting the gold too. I would love to try the gold with the stock pro 8.5x11 coil in all metal mode in some of the fields I hunt. I know the threshold based all metal is going to get deeper hits than the pro but too bad it's a one tone in all metal (in disc modes it has the the tones) I love the silver squeak of the pro. At least it gives you a VDI and you can set up the iron audio to here the iron grunt in all metal. This is all just my observations as I have never used the gold but I researched the heck out of it lately. If I'm wrong on anything please set me straight because I don't want to steer anyone wrong. Also from what I can tell in disc 1 mode it gets about same depth as pro and separates as good as pro does with the 5x8 coil.

OP
OP
billyjoe42

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5x8 coil excellent on separation, plus is very easy to pinpoint with.
It's really nice to have the iron disc/iron audio advantage in the AMM.
Appreciate all the helpful input, as I'm on the ATG learning curve. DVD was big help, and the manual was well done - Actually easy to follow. I just had to read it 3 times to make it 'stick'. Then of course, there's no substitute for getting dirty.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've come to realize how powerful the All Metal Mode is after reading a few of Clive Clynick's books. It's strange I haven't read any other people talking them up. I guess they want to keep it a secret.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions