When Do You Change Your Batteries? (ATP)

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One bar.

I tested mine down that far and never wonder if I'm missing anything. I do start watching it closer when it's at 2 bars and change em at one. This is on alkalines.

On rechargeables, I go to about half then charge em up.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One bar. I tested mine down that far and never wonder if I'm missing anything. I do start watching it closer when it's at 2 bars and change em at one. This is on alkalines. On rechargeables, I go to about half then charge em up.

Okay cool. I have been changing them at 2 bars but I'm going to start waiting until they get down to 1. Thanks fella.

C L A D Z I L L A

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to put new ones in if I'm going to a spot I may only get to hunt once or a site that has produced and I want peak performance from my machine,,,, and save the <50%ers for the school down the street I hunt frequently when I just have a few minutes to go.. or for other devices (wireless mouse, tv remote etc)

What kind/brand of battery do you use? I picked up some Duracell quantum high density batteries and they lasted at least 2x longer than energizers.

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
I will use mine until the first bar vanishes, finish my hunt and then change them out the next go around. I hunted a 15 foot by 10 foot area in a hard with 50% batteries. I missed alot when i went back with full. Just my 2 cents. :)

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback guys. So you will lose some power as your batteries lose juice?? I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I would like to hear some more thoughts on this. I am a bit OCD, lol.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my atp tells me when its time to change the batteries.......at about 50% my atp gets chatty and starts falsing

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Page 48-49 of the ATP manual….

The detector will maintain full performance until the batteries need to be replaced. Replace batteries when there is only one segment remaining.

I'm Sure the people at Garrett know a wee bit more about it than us boobs that swing em in our spare time. Anyone changing out batts at one or two bars of usage are kidding themselves and pissing their money away. However it's their money and if it gives em the warm tingleies to keep their confidence, no problem.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran mine down and eventually things started to go goofy. Up to that point I think the machine gets slower and I had to turn up the headphones volume. But it's hard to tell much difference. The volume is what I would use as the gauge.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I replace mine when the first bar disappears, I notice a Big Difference when I'm in Pro mode with iron audio on and Have to slow Down to a Snails Pace to be sure I don't Miss a Target I don't swing Very Fast as it is.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Page 48-49 of the ATP manual….

The detector will maintain full performance until the batteries need to be replaced. Replace batteries when there is only one segment remaining.

I'm Sure the people at Garrett know a wee bit more about it than us boobs that swing em in our spare time. Anyone changing out batts at one or two bars of usage are kidding themselves and pissing their money away. However it's their money and if it gives em the warm tingleies to keep their confidence, no problem.
This is what I did all last year, and I am sure I didn't miss any targets...........................because of the batteries. If you go by the owners manual for all other operations, why would you not belive it, about this??

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran mine down and eventually things started to go goofy. Up to that point I think the machine gets slower and I had to turn up the headphones volume. But it's hard to tell much difference. The volume is what I would use as the gauge.

What I meant to say is once it got down to one bar left I ran it down to see how far I could take it. It goes a long ways at only one bar, certainly a few hours without noticing any difference. About the time I noticed the volume lower it also seemed to be slower but I doubt many people would even notice this.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another note on battery life. It definitely depends on how many targets you are hitting. Nugget hunting the batteries last much longer than working a city park.

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, F5, CZ21,Garrett AtPro,Teknetics G2,Minelab Excaliber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would also have to do with what brqnd of batteries you have in the machine. I had the energizers in got to 50 percent 2 bars and started falsing even dry sand was nightmare had to drop to 3bars sens. Replaced with duracells and i could run them to 1 bar before falsing started again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure I change mine to often now as I have messed up and let it run to low in the beginning. Keep an eight pack handy and a new 9 volt for pin pointer. I have more confidence as well.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff guys, thanks for all of the great feed back.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am absolutly positive that the people at garrett know more about metal detectors than us boobs....but...im not a stupid boob...fact remains that on my atp when i am in the middle of a hunt when i get down to half my bars my detector is very vocal about wanting new batteries...The first couple of times i did factory reset and took battery pod out and put back in but nothing would fix it except new batteries....now i know exactly when i need to change my batteries and it is always at 50% bars....and no its not an emi problem...I have checked the batteries that i replace with a tester an they r between 1.3 an 1.4 volts....apparently my machine doesnt like it when the batteries get below 1.4 volts....and it does it with duracell...energizers...etc...etc.....i Can read page 48 -49 but my machine doesnt follow the rules...LOL....but all is not lost as i recycle those batteries in remotes,computor mice and flashlites and get all the goody out of them

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 2$ here. Some of these box stores sell factory quality rejects and even outright counterfeits are a lot more common than most people think. I've had the worst experiences with the 9 volts being counterfeit but any are suspect. Ebay, highly suspect.

Dave P

Feb 24, 2010
Port Saint Lucie Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I cannot remember the person who posted it but I thank him. I read his post and from now on I will check my detector before and after every use to see where it is at. I think I will let it get down to almost 2 or three volts and see how that works out for me. Fully charged should be 14 volts. If you cannot see your charge getting up to 10 or 12 volts well then thats another issue to figure out. We are always learning something in this craft of ours.
I do have a battery pod back up when I go out.
I also think it is a good idea to unplug the cord from the computer to the battery when not in use as I think it might somewhat drain the charge as well. If I am wrong on this then it will be no harm done leaving it unplugged I would think.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cannot remember the person who posted it but I thank him. I read his post and from now on I will check my detector before and after every use to see where it is at. I think I will let it get down to almost 2 or three volts and see how that works out for me. Fully charged should be 14 volts. If you cannot see your charge getting up to 10 or 12 volts well then thats another issue to figure out. We are always learning something in this craft of ours. I do have a battery pod back up when I go out. I also think it is a good idea to unplug the cord from the computer to the battery when not in use as I think it might somewhat drain the charge as well. If I am wrong on this then it will be no harm done leaving it unplugged I would think.

If you put 14 volts to your ATP you will not have to worry about batteries. A fire extinguisher maybe but definitely not batteries. And where do you get a cord to plug it into your computer?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread