5x8 or 8x10 In The Salt? (ATP)

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm solidly in the middle of the continent and have never hunted ocean beaches. I'm going to the Caribbean this summer and don't know if the 5x8 or 8x10 will make a difference in the salt. The beach is huge and supposedly pristine so I'm not worried about trash. Would one coil false more than the other? I do know I'm going to need to GB like crazy and play with sensitivity a lot, but was wondering if the coil I choose will make a difference...or should I bring both?

Thanks in Advance!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprised no one answered this post. Guess they are totally jealous. LOL A bigger coil sees more ground, so challenging ground is going to be exaggerated with the larger coil. But I would still bring it because gold sinks quickly in the surf.

OP
OP
HenryWaltonJonesJr

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks signal_line, it's also possible not many people have direct experience with this. It makes sense the larger could would see more ghosts, but maybe the smaller coil would since it's looking at a tighter area. I suppose it's knowing why it would false in the first place. Perhaps as you swing it the salt minerals line up just right at times and the detector says, "metal!". I'd conduct some experiments in my bathtub if I didn't have metal tub!

I'll probably just bring both and post my findings. : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions