ATX owners, please check your coil cable at the connector

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was preparing to go out in the water for only the second time since buying the ATX....to be honest, I haven't been using it at all for 4-5 months since my last run with it....but prior to going out the other day, I thought I'd give it a good look over to ensure everything was tight.... never did get to check the coil connector when I saw the damage to the coiled cable casing. No way this is going in the water now until I get it back to Garrett....
I emailed Garrett, got an RMA number and it is on its way to Garrett. Great response time from the Garrett staff!
It appears that the rough edges of the fiberglass tubes rub against the coiled coil cable when the shaft is extended or retracted. I've attached a few photos so you can see what happened to mine.
Cliff

Attachments

• 2014-07-28 13.45.50.jpg
    2014-07-28 13.45.50.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 310
  • 2014-07-28 13.45.39.jpg
    2014-07-28 13.45.39.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 519
  • ATX coil cable.jpg
    ATX coil cable.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 305

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn that's nasty. If it happened in that short of time I bet everyone's is doing it.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I hope they come up with a fix for that. That would of def ruined your day in the water. Garrett is an awesome company and will take care of you as you prob already know. Let us know what they do or how they plan to address this as this is prob going to be a problem.

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may have missed your update in another thread...what was the outcome on this issue? Has Garrett made any manufacturing mods to prevent it?

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Garrett replaced the coil/shaft assembly. Nothing new in the way of a change that I could see however the ends of the shaft tubing seemed to be a cleaner cut then was on the original coil/shaft assembly.
Cliff

Feb 22, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Your photos say more than a thousand words. Are you working in a wet environment? Also, I am considering buying this particular detector. May I ask why you decided on the MTX?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread