May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) I've heard it averages numbers sometimes. How exactly does it go about doing this? I've never really figured out what that meant. Does it mean sometimes a dime next to a nail might read somewhere between a nail and a dime, or something else? Can someone explain this?

2) What do the different iron discrimination levels actually do? I run at 32 for my iron discrimination, usually, but what does the number really tell you? Seems like anything under 38-40 is iron, but I can't tell what makes one piece ring up 20 and one piece ring up say 32

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on conductivity on the iron audio. Rusty items ring up higher sometimes and large iron will ring up higher. As for let's say a nail and dime in same hole if nail hits at lets say 27 and you run iron disc up to 38 you may not hear the dime as it may only read a bit higher. But when I get silver and iron in same hole you can sometimes here the high tone for split sec so go around target at all angles and when in doubt dig. Deep silver doesn't alway sound off as a high tone it may be just a faint sound that may go high but may not but if you pinpoint and it's deep dig it. The at pro depending on ground conditions can give a great sound on 9" dime with the 5x8 coil and stock coil but in dry mineralized soil you will have to dig a lot to figure out what machine is telling you. I'm still pulling silver out of a place that has been pounded since people have had detectors. Where headphones and listen to your machine. I pulled a merc out a couple of weeks ago that was scratchy sounding but had a dif sound than most junk when I dug it out it was a merc at about 5" in rusty ground where nail was sitting in same hole. Good luck, the at pro will do what those detectors costing twice as much will do. It's about the operator.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread