Marinesniper

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2014
Arlington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting for about 3 weeks on a regular basis with my ACE 250, and one of the biggest problems I am having is distinguishing the difference between foil and good targets. Is there any way other than digging up EVERY single nickel signal that I get to determine if I am picking up foil/aluminum tabs or a coin? I've almost reached the point where I just ignore everything that comes up in that range, which I'm sure will ensure I miss something good! HELP!!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Foil signals can really surprise you, a 1000 "CRAP" 1 "COOL" :laughing7:

Hang in there dude,your "COOL" is coming!!

GOD Bless

Chris

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting for about 3 weeks on a regular basis with my ACE 250, and one of the biggest problems I am having is distinguishing the difference between foil and good targets. Is there any way other than digging up EVERY single nickel signal that I get to determine if I am picking up foil/aluminum tabs or a coin? I've almost reached the point where I just ignore everything that comes up in that range, which I'm sure will ensure I miss something good! HELP!!

You will only be giving up the gold and small silver. And buttons. And tokens. And.... :)

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know the old saying... The good with the bad? That about covers metal detecting. You want the silver and gold, be prepared to dig foil, caps, pull tabs.... Lots of them.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang in there, the ACE wont lie to you, just gotta know what its saying. Instincts, experience, and luck.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't dig anything that pings under 50... From the 50 point up you must dig everything that is repeatable. Foil most always is in the 40 range

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Foil is also gold range. I've dug small thin women's gold rings in the mid 40's on my AT pro. I dug a kids small 10k ring that was a steady 45 signal. I dig everything 40's and up. Thin gold chains will bounce from 40's to 50's.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While you dig 2 small thin gold rings per year because you dig 500 holes with foil in them... you miss on 500 coins and larger jewelry you could have had. Think about it... so you get 2 thin gold rings a year that are worth $20 each... is that worth digging 500 pieces of foil? Its not to me... sorry .. I will go to Walmart and spend $40 on 2 small gold rings then will not dig 500 holes filled with foil... my time is worth so very much more...

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
He who digs the most trash finds the most treasure. I dig everything that could possibly be gold. You may look at it as a waist of time but you may pass up on a mommy's wedding band with a 3 carat diamond in it. Can't get that at Walmart. To each is own. Many gold rings will range from low 40's all the way to low 80's.

image-19271811.jpg

image-1756503510.jpg

Here are 2 mans wedding bands, both at 6 grams. The one with the diamonds was bouncing from 43 to 65 on my VDI. The other plain band was a solid and steady 75 reading. It's not always a guarantee by trusting what # will give you what treasure. I've also dug a hundred tabs in a day and then that next signal you think is another tab, turns out to be a gold ring. Gotta dig the trash to get the treasure. Theirs no way around it. Many times I was fooled thinking it's just another piece of aluminum trash but pleasantly surprised. Isn't that the whole point of why we do this hobby? Digging for treasure? Go buy your rings at Walmart, I'll keep finding them in the ground. I hate when people come on here and put their own stats from trash to treasure ratio.

Aug 27, 2013
Chesterfield va
Detector(s) used
GARRET ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 is a great detector I own one and love it... just take your time and really learn the machine. GOOD LUCK

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do not understand the math... the 500 coins and larger gold jewelry will be worth far more than the 2 gold rings you find while digging 40's signals.... think about it.... :)
While you are digging the foil you should be digging something of value... Most will get this....
And yes the larger jewelry with the bigger diamonds you will find anyway...

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
That's if you can find 500 coins and larger jewelry. Most coins in the ground are pennies. I look for the good stuff too just like everyone else but I won't pass on a good solid 45 while I'm searching for the better and bigger stuff. It's about location and of course in trashy areas foil signals are more likely to be just foil and I won't dig. I don't think you understand the math. How did you come up with 2 gold rings?? The more gold you find the better no matter how big. Gold any weight is worth more than 500 clad coins you find, wether its 1 gram or 20 grams simply because gold is a physical investment that will always have increasing value. Now if your talking 500 silver coins that's a different story and good luck finding that many per yr. Your clad coins will always be worth just their value, while your gold is always changing and holding different value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions