Upgrading to AT Pro- any tips or info for me?

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watch the Garrett videos and practice the technics. I think you will get more familiar with the sensitivity and what the machine is telling you as you put hours on the detector. I usually run in PRO Mode Zero with iron discrimination set at 32. Ground balance and play until you get the feel of the machine. Play with ALL the modes and settings. When you find a solid target, like a coin, run the coil over the object in different modes, just to experience the responses. When I encounter high trash areas I go slow and listen for repeatable signals... sometimes I finds stuff that others have missed... like a WW1 token which is the pride of my collection. Mostly, have fun.

OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the Garrett videos and practice the technics. I think you will get more familiar with the sensitivity and what the machine is telling you as you put hours on the detector. I usually run in PRO Mode Zero with iron discrimination set at 32. Ground balance and play until you get the feel of the machine. Play with ALL the modes and settings. When you find a solid target, like a coin, run the coil over the object in different modes, just to experience the responses. When I encounter high trash areas I go slow and listen for repeatable signals... sometimes I finds stuff that others have missed... like a WW1 token which is the pride of my collection. Mostly, have fun.

awesome thanks a lot

OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Created a new username since I changed the machine. Was trying to get username changed but never heard from he moderators. Anyways can't wait to get it Wednesday. I love Garrett's equipment and my wife gets to enjoy my ace 250.

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you getting the 5" x 8" coil with it? If not, you may want to consider purchasing one. It is an entirely different beast with that smaller coil. Lighter, better balance and target separation.

OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you getting the 5" x 8" coil with it? If not, you may want to consider purchasing one. It is an entirely different beast with that smaller coil. Lighter, better balance and target separation.
I've heard that a lot of people prefer that coil. I guess when I get the extra money I may look at buying one. Thanks

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In standard mode it's comparable to the ace but once you switch to pro it's a whole new machine. I don't know why there is a standard mode waste of time in my opinion. The 5x8 coil is awesome but don't give up on that stock coil it separates in trashy areas better than a lot of machines out there. Don't even use standard learn pro mode and use headphones. Silver sounds a bit different when it's deep not always a perfect high tone. If it's deep and small dig. Run the sens as high as you can and ground balance every now and then depending on site. You can drop numbers on ground balance a few points if you want but it may false a bit more. I normally drop 5 at most after balancing. I would dig as much as possible so you know what targets sound like but dig all those pull tabs because you don't want to miss the small gold. Good luck.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend the first 20 hours or so digging everything....listen to the tones, in pro mode, this is more than just a 3 tone machine! Learn those high-low tones that give those bottle caps away, and definately learn that sweet, soft high-tone that means SILVER! Learn the vdi numbers for common targets at moderate depths. But DO NOT rely on the numbers for deep targets! And learn to size a target using the toe of the DD coil....

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I can size a target no problem without toeing the coil. Over 3k hours in with the AT Pro. Everything else, I agree with Digger.
I have the smaller coil but have never put it on the pro, just the gold.

OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two more days until it comes in the mail from Kellyco. Can't wait to go search areas I already hit on my 3 acres. Plus I got a lot of area to hunt I wanna go back over.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tips everyone. Im really excited too. I should be receiving my ATPro today or tomorrow from Kellyco. I got two coils and a ProPointer. Really stoked about the pinpointer. Been using a Bullseye II for the past 3 years.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will love the pro pointer also. I went out today at edge of an old property for about 15 mins and pulled a 1901 Indian head. That's about 20 of those this year. The pro loves copper and brass. It will give you the sweetest sound when you pass your coil over a silver coin or ring. Gold is mostly a mid tone so got to dig a lot like with any machine. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tips everyone. Im really excited too. I should be receiving my ATPro today or tomorrow from Kellyco. I got two coils and a ProPointer. Really stoked about the pinpointer. Been using a Bullseye II for the past 3 years.
congrats, mine comes tomorrow (Wednesday) and I'm so excited lol.

OP
OP
ATProAdam

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont let your wife try your atp because then you gotta get another one after you spent the night sleeping on the couch
that's a good tip lol

DutchDiggers!®

Aug 29, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hi there,

just go on the Garretts YouTube channel and check out the tons of vids they have on the AT pro there..

heres the link mate :)

GarrettDetectors - YouTube

DIG ON!

GK
DutchDiggers!®

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you explain the smaller coil in more detail?
Smaller coils allow you to sort through the trash a little better because in a nut shell there are less targets under the coil at one time. You loose a little depth, and the smaller the coil, the more you loose so there is a trade off as with everything. It also makes the ATPro much better balanced than the stock coil it comes with so there is less fatigue when you swing it for hours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread