AT Pro Vs. Fisher F2 is there even a comparison???? Im looking to upgrade

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used Whites machines exclusively for 12 years. I did in the beginning use a cheap Radio Shack model just to figure out if I was interested in dropping more than $900 into a hobby. All in all the Whites machines were top notch. Loved every single one of them I owned. Now my digging has taken me deeper into uncharted territory and water is on the list of places to hunt along with trashed colonial era property. My DFX was capable of getting me through trashy areas and I did once in awhile hunt shallow streams with it. I found many cool and valuable relics and coins with that machine. Cue the new ATPro I just purchased. Talk about being mad. I am so upset with this machine I could just spit. This new piece of technology is taking me back to areas now I thought I would never go back to. Why? Because the silly thing is finding all the stuff the DFX missed. I mean the target separation is amazing. I have literally pulled out large cents at a site that I've been over before with the DFX that had nails beside them. The machine goes every bit as deep at the Whites. I'm just finding more stuff now. It's incredible. Heck just last week I pulled out an 1888 IH and an 1864 two Cent coin at a site I pounded with the DFX. Do I regret having all those Whites machines? Absolutely not! The technology at the time was astounding. It's just now I have a very capable, powerful and simple to use machine that can kick some butt I love this machine. Best decision I've made in this hobby since I bought my DFX. Hey the pro pointer lays to shame the bullseye II I had. I guess comparing Yugos to BMW's is unfair.
glad your getting the best out of the at pro. I love mine and I have found a lot in some real trashy spots. Good luck.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great machine for the money. The F2 works well for an entry level detector, but the ground balance and waterproof capabilities of the AT Pro make a world of difference in depth and discrimination.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
CSOhio, I actually have been a F-2 user for several years, and have recently just "RE" acquired an AT Pro. I used an AT pro a few years ago, and hated the damn thing. now that said, I just recently found out that particular unit was broken and was not coming out of its standard mode, so there was no pro mode, and this makes alot of difference. I will also tell you, its not a huge leap in performance difference per say. F2 is a turn and burn detector. Ya wanna quick look at a place or just checking out an area, the F2 is great for that. The At's ground balance, and enhanced Iron features, will help a great deal in looking well into an area. but your comparing 2 completely different kinds of machines. Don't refer the F2 as a beginner unit, call it a scouting unit, you know it will go deep enough to find items, it simply has limitation to the ground content due to a lack of ground balance, and fine tuning of the targeted finds. Most lower priced units are simply simplified versions of some already existing unit. Any unit you get with ground balance, would be considered a step in a type of upgrade. but I prefer to say your not upgrading, you're adding to the abilities you have access to out in the field. Best of luck!!:occasion14:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will also add that an ATpro without the 5x8 coil is only half the machine it is capable of being.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bart, can you order the ATPro from you with only the 5x8 coil?

Sorry no, Garrett wont allow it. We do have the spring special with both coils. Not many of them left though.

Kagain123

Greenie
Jul 8, 2014
Roswell, nm
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2/ Garrett At-Pro/xp-deus 9"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Gold comes with the 5x8 DD as it's standard coil, the Pro doesn't (my only beef with the Pro). I bought the F2 and used it first for awhile, but quickly noticed the lack of GB in my mineralized soil hurt my depth bad and gave me huge falsing. A buddy of mine with his Cabellas bounty hunter and I were at a 1919 farmhouse working the porch area, he pulled 2 Mercs in my grid right behind me!!(we swapped grids.) now I was confident with and loved my F2, but she didn't even peep on those coins. So I bought the Pro, I was going to anyway because my F2 had netted me enough to upgrade. After getting the Pro, I found my first SLQ, 3 barber dimes, 5 Mercs and 5 Rosie's from the same farmhouse. The GB along with Pro mode is amazing and killer in my area! Also, a lot of my finds with the Pro and stock coil are in iron infested areas. I find Mercs in holes with nails all the time. It takes a little more work than with the 5x8, a little more patience, but you can do a number with the stock coil alone. I have ordered both of my machines from Bart at bigboyshobbies.net, he has always been professional and amazing to deal with.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find Mercs in holes with nails all the time. It takes a little more work than with the 5x8, a little more patience, but you can do a number with the stock coil alone. I have ordered both of my machines from Bart at bigboyshobbies.net, he has always been professional and amazing to deal with.

Thank you Sir! Glad your doing so well with the AT Pro! love that detector!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread