AT Pro question

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Recently re-located from No. Tex (Dallas area) to central Highland Lakes region. Encountered a dramatic change in soil composition...frm primarily clay to a sandy/granulated granite makeup. Old location grnd balance normally around 68-72 range, sometimes lower. New location 'GB' nearer 90, i.e., 88-92 range. If anyone's familiar with the area, I'm primarily hunting the Llano river basin which may be best described as more granite outcroppings with small streams/riverlets crisscrossing the riverbed.

Here's my problem and/or question - - I often detect a high tone (78 to 83 VDI), dig only to find rusted iron (nails, wire, etc.). Once recovered (on top), VDI drops to normal lower range and high tone is nowhere to be found. Can someone explain what's happening between detection and recovery? :icon_scratch:

On a side note - - coins (pennies AND silver clad) are almost invisible here (identical color as surrounding soil) without a pinpointer and even then are difficult to isolate. As you can tell, I'm not having the same success I had in my previous location. :BangHead:

Thanks in advance for any/all advice or recommendations!!!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always bury a test target and adjust manual ground balance to best response.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your machine is detecting the object and its rusty halo while in the ground.....try to sweep from multiple angles and listen closely for a small grunt at the beginning or end of the high-tone. A good target such as a silver dime while be very clear with absolutely no distortion. Hope this helps, but every machine will be tricked sometimes.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much of our dirt here is this way and you will still do fine with the pro once you get used to it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread