Sometimes my ATPro makes a high tone if I bump the coil. Does this happen to you?

ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All -

I've noticed that when I'm swinging the coil of my ATPro over the ground, if I happen to bump it on something mid-swing, it will sometimes make a high tone.

It's not usually a problem on a nice flat lawn, but in the woods with lots of fallen branches, roots and rocks on the ground (this is also why I use a coil cover) it happens pretty often.

This fooled me quite a bit at first, but now I've just learned to ignore it. I wonder if the sudden stop when the coil was in motion somehow "fools" the detector?

I'm curious if this is "normal" behavior - does this happen to anyone else? The detector seems to work fine otherwise.

Thanks!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure connection is tight if so lift detector in air and shake if it sounds off a lot call Garrett and they will send a new coil. I had this problem with the stock at pro coil and Garrett sent me out a new one and it stopped. You can drop sense and it will stop also but if your like me I run sense as high as possible to get best depth and out in woods you shouldn't have much problems with emi unless power lines are running close by. Another thing you can try is running coil wire up shaft from coil about 10" and tape it and then wrap wire rest of the way to control box. You may be getting signals from your coil wire also. Hope these tips help.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
VLF machines typically sound off when banging the coil on rocks and crap from what I have experienced atpro no exception but you really gotta mash a atrpro against the stuff to get it to false.

Last edited:

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I can't add anything else, I think you guys covered it
My money is also on a loose connection.
I've used mine more extensively today, and did not experience anything like that...

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Normal.....bumping the coil sometimes moves the coil wire, which the coil picks up then it beeps!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy with a sore arm went to the doctor. The doctor asked "Does it hurt when you go like this?" "Yes, he said as he tried it." "Well, don't do that!"

Yes, coil control. Bumps will set off the machine, but it is easy enough to make another swing over the area and see if you get a repeat. Usually it doesn't sound like a good target when you get a false and usually you can feel it if you bump something enough to set it off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread