How To Set Up Your Detector For Winter Hunting

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
ATPROJacket.jpg

Cold temperatures can kill your batteries in an hour, rendering them useless. You have two choices. You can use the "ENERGIZER ULTIMATE LITHIUM" batteries which can still work well in extreme cold conditions, or you can use my method (or variation of it) as shown.

meandcar.jpg

And you may have to dress warm also! Good luck on the snow hills or in the woods. :coffee2:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, I was whining yesterday about getting out in the 25 degree and windy (but sunny) weather. Seeing your hard core set up and determination, should put an end to my whining. lol
I suppose when you locate a target in those conditions, you lay out a hot pack, and come back a little later when it is thawed to dig it up? (Just kidding)

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I was whining yesterday about getting out in the 25 degree and windy (but sunny) weather. Seeing your hard core set up and determination, should put an end to my whining. lol I suppose when you locate a target in those conditions, you lay out a hot pack, and come back a little later when it is thawed to dig it up? (Just kidding)
or carry a propane torch with ya lol.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how do you dig a hole in -23 degrees?....the ground would have to be frozen solid as a rock....

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
So how do you dig a hole in -23 degrees?....the ground would have to be frozen solid as a rock....

I can in the woods. Under the mulch, (dead leaves, black dirt) the ground is quite porous and you can still dig it. Otherwise I don't if there is too much snow. I dig in the snow on toboggan hills where kids and their parents go down the hills and lose $$$ and occasionally a ring.

gianetics

Greenie
May 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you my friend are a savage. im on the central coast of CA so for me i just press power.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always use lithium batteries..I have 5 drills that stay in my work van and they all are lithium and they have never failed me. Of course it never gets that cold here but it does get below zero some times.

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-23 *c = -9* f, that's still pretty cold lol. Glad in my area of NC we don't get below 20 f often. Good tips, thanks.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Nice thread I wonder how the AT PRO will work in hot muggy Fl.

Man......good question. Let us know when you tried it.:walk:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread