Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats weird you got a solid signal and that happen...I know on a few occaions, I have gotten a signal, dug down, couldnt find it. Then walked off to see that i had popped it out and it landed a few inches away from my whole...or the biggest one if the pulltabs or coins that get stuck on my digger in the mud

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today in the wind and cold and snow. It was cold! I got a clear 80-81 signal on the Pro. I dug and scanned the hole again and the dirt I dug out and no signal. None at all. filled the hole back in and still nothing. What the heck causes that? Didn't like the cold maybe? any body had that happen?

The other week I thought I had a false signal but it was this foil paper that almost impossible to see because it blended in with the red clay. Then also there was a very very thin piece of wire that I almost missed. Turns out it was me and not e detector. It read in that range I think.

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other week I thought I had a false signal but it was this foil paper that almost impossible to see because it blended in with the red clay. Then also there was a very very thin piece of wire that I almost missed. Turns out it was me and not e detector. It read in that range I think.
It is not that I could not find the target. If I had still had a signal I would have looked til I did. But, there was no signal. I scanned all around it. Filled in the hole and scanned in both directions. Nothing.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the same happen today+86...plug it.......nothing..I said"what the heck!"

That was on an M-6 though.

GOD Bless

Chris

littlewheaty

Dec 7, 2014
missouri
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ace 250, at-pro, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the exact same thing. Had a strong 80 81 in all directions dug the plug nothing. I thought it popped out checked all around it and nothing. Im thinking its my detector. I had a depth issue and sending it in to have it looked at.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes a small piece of iron turns to rust which has more conductivity an when you disturb the area it no longer reads on the detector. Not just on the AT Pro.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had signals disappear and found it to be the typical phantom signals where it's iron deposits and as you dig and break up the clod it's gone. Had the wire, .22 bullet and dirt colored targets too and hate chasing them..i refuse to give up till I find that signal

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Badger, I am afraid it is more than that. I took it out and did some testing. It is working fine on shallow targets, BUT, it was very quiet for a while so I put it next to my lesche. Nothing for a sec. then a static signal. Usually it blows your ears off. I have to carry the lesche behind my back or I will get a signal. I don't know if it is the machine or the coil. I think I am going to call them today and send the whole thing in.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rusty nails will do that. Next time when the signal disappears, scan the hole with Iron Audio turned on and see if you hear anything.

ATProAdam

Jan 25, 2013
Salisbury NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Badger, I am afraid it is more than that. I took it out and did some testing. It is working fine on shallow targets, BUT, it was very quiet for a while so I put it next to my lesche. Nothing for a sec. then a static signal. Usually it blows your ears off. I have to carry the lesche behind my back or I will get a signal. I don't know if it is the machine or the coil. I think I am going to call them today and send the whole thing in.

Not sure if it helps or will matter, some say to tape the coil cord a few inches up the shaft away from the coil to prevent any interference.m

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if it helps or will matter, some say to tape the coil cord a few inches up the shaft away from the coil to prevent any interference.m
I have done that. I use the Vet wrap. Checked all connections and put in new batteries too. I think something is wrong though. Sometimes it happens and I dig and dig, and finally just figure it is a very big target and give up. But, even then the signal goes away or changes?

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OJG, If its the ATP, send it in while its under warranty. Garrett will want the control box and coil(s). You will get it back in around 10 days. The nice part is, they replace the main board with the latest version, and if your coil is bad (as mine was), you get a new one too. They also reseal and pressure test the box.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Try changing coils and see if the prob is in the coil. Garrett had lots of issues with the stock coils falsing. Mine would go nuts in the water. I could search for about 30 min then it would go haywire and would not stop signalling and beeping. Bought the smaller DD coil and haven't had any issues. I haven't used the stock coil since changing it. I love the small DD at the beach. If that's not your prob then it's what Sandman says. I've dug repeatable targets many times that I thought for sure we're something good worth digging and then vanished like a fart in the wind. Objects that are in the ground for decades basically just leave a halo of what it once was and your detector will pick up this halo. Once you dig and move try to locate it, you break it up and now there is no signal as these tiny rusted out pieces of now basically dust can no longer produce a signal.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say if it's not able to pick up your lesche then id certainly call them and have it on its way to them. Unusual as it seems everything does have a glitch or break from time to time just sorry this happened

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say if it's not able to pick up your lesche then id certainly call them and have it on its way to them. Unusual as it seems everything does have a glitch or break from time to time just sorry this happened
I have no real complaints about the machine. I have used it many hours. I am sure it is something that can be fixed. I do use the DD coil. I have to say if it were not for the not picking up on the lesche I would think nothing of it. The bad thing is it is intermittent. This happened a couple of weeks ago too. Both times have been in fields where there are very few signals. Not a lot of iron. I am going to try all the things like resetting and see how it is when I take it out again. If all is not well I will send it in for a check up. Sure will miss it.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had same problem on every detector I've used. Most times its out of hole or on digger or my boots if muddy but sometimes it's not there. Like sandman said iron can give good signal in ground then go away sometimes and it can fool the best detectors out there. I've had problems with emi with the pro along with wifi and cell phone in pocket. Had to drop sense or change freq at times. My at gold doesn't like emi or wifi either. Changing freq helps sometimes but dropping sense helps the best. Good luck.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not a "typical problem" every detector has if it's not picking up her Lesche. If a reset doesn't fix it (kinda doubt it but always worth a try) ,batteries and coil test good and your not discing out all the iron then it has to be a problem with the board.

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I boxed it up today and sent it in. Tried all suggestions and took it out. Was a lot of static and would not beep on my lesche at all. I had to put it right on the lesche and then got static. Something wrong for sure. I am not worried. I am sure it will be fixed. But, sure will miss it. With the holidays, I think it will take a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread