Coil Cover removed after two weeks of use.

CMan1

Nov 21, 2014
Treasure Coast 1715 Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to remove the coil cover to have a look.
This coil was used at beach and land for roughly 45 hours. Surf edge no more then 1/2 hour. Days used twelve and the cover was on tight.
I brushed off coil and rinse after each use MD.
Sand found even good size granduals fell on counter. The coil and cover was dry.
No cracks coil looked new after wash.

Falsing more when unit coil was wet I noticed.

I'm going to contact Garrett to see if its okay to seal edge of cover. Then peal off small caulk seam silicone clear waterproof.

Coil 010.JPG Coil 007.JPG Coil 008.JPG

Third MD at inland parks. Small coil used sand under cover.
004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a time I thought this sealing the gap was going to keep the black sand out, but it gets inside anyway. Better to leave the cover off and coat the coil with couple coats of Marine Epoxy.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant get mine off my CZ21...it has the 10 inch coil.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking...I don't need to take it off but I know it wont come off.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
How i got one off i put real hot water on it got it hot then preyed it off with a screw driver….. Now that coil cover i thought i would never get off …But the hot water did it..

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I gave up on coil covers years ago, as they caused more problems than they eliminated, and like Sandman said, just coat your coil with some marine epoxy. Then hunt baby, hunt!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
How i got one off i put real hot water on it got it hot then preyed it off with a screw driver….. Now that coil cover i thought i would never get off …But the hot water did it..

Good advice Keppy:icon_thumleft:....Coil covers protect the underlying coil. They should be removed and cleaned periodically.

pro pointer snowman.jpg

OP
OP
CMan1

CMan1

Nov 21, 2014
Treasure Coast 1715 Florida
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 x 8 Coil removed five times so far goes right back on and tight. I use a butter knife slowly to remove cover. Fine sand removed washed and I clean coil.
I just feel its worth my time to maintain coil.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used that flex seal that you spray on, works great and no worry about sand etc getting into anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread