Any tips for ATX in trashy areas?

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out to a vacant house that has a history dating back to 1906 according to the maps but has been used as a rental house for the past 20+ years. The ATX screamed at me the whole time. I was able to dig up some clad coins but it was rough. I had a buddy with me that uses a White MTX and he had a rough time also. Any ATX users out there that can give me some pointers?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're using it in an environment it wasn't meant for. It's a PI and you are using it a location filled with 100 years of nails, bolts, washers, wire and non-conductive trash.

OP
OP
G

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're using it in an environment it wasn't meant for. It's a PI and you are using it a location filled with 100 years of nails, bolts, washers, wire and non-conductive trash.

Thanks for replying. I knew it wasn't designed for those conditions but I was wondering if anyone might have tried it in that type of an environment and had success with a certain setting configuration. I'm just experimenting with it. Again thanks for taking the time to reply.

OP
OP
G

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out again today in the trashy area. After some more fine tuning with the sensitivity and discrimination has a little bit of success. I was able to constantly identify clad coins. I will hit it again and see if I can tune it to the point that I am able to identify silver in the trash.

dunnellondave

Oct 1, 2013
Went out again today in the trashy area. After some more fine tuning with the sensitivity and discrimination has a little bit of success. I was able to constantly identify clad coins. I will hit it again and see if I can tune it to the point that I am able to identify silver in the trash.
Please keep us updated. This is going to be my next machine!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I thought about an 8" mono for the ATX, but for the 500+ I did not buy one. I did buy an ATPro and the 4.5 inch sniper coil for such target filled areas. Each detector has its best environment, and ATX just does not shine in such a trashy location. No doubt with the correct settings and determination you will find some goodies. Good luck and please keep us posted as to your success.

OP
OP
G

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had a lot of time to post a reply because I have been a little busy with the arrival of my new daughter! With so much attention needing to go to my wife and new daughter and also because of the winter weather I have had to get creative in order to find the time to detect. The time restraint has made me realize two things:

1- The compact design of the ATX is awesome. Every morning there are a few must have items I grab before I leave for work they are wallet, keys, cellphone and now the ATX. I also keep a set of detecting clothes in my car along with a fold up military shovel. I drive a lot for my work and when I get the chance to detect I have everything right at my finger tips to go at it.

2- The ATX works in trashy areas. Lately I have been detecting in a lot of public spots because of my current situation. Unfortunately most of the public places are full of trash.

For now I'm going to provide just a few general tips on how I learned to utilize the settings on the ATX to develop different techniques while detecting in trashy areas. I am slowly working on a more detailed post on this subject and hoping to including a video in a planted test area.

1- (Patience)The ATX is such a sensitive machine that in trashy areas it will constantly scream at you. Don't lose hope there are techniques you can learn and develop to be successful in these environments. Just remember it will take some time and being patient is very important.

2- (Focus on Action instead of Results) Take your time and make it a point to concentrate on the action of Metal Detecting in stead of focusing on the results. Instead of going out with the mind set that todays the day you are going to discover the rarest coin in the world go out with the mind set that your only objective is to listen to your ATX, dig and learn. This mind set should provide you with a little peace and will aid you in efficiently understanding the machine.

3- (Plan of Attack) When you get to your trashy area develop your grid as you normally would but instead of keeping it in your mind draw it out in a note book. I started out by drawing the basic shape of the area I was going to MD, then I drew vertical and horizontal lines through the area creating equal grids and included which way was north on the map. Ok so we got our normal grid drawn out then I drew three more distinct lines horizontally creating three sections of the area and assigned each section and grid-box with a name for reference. ( Note: I ended up adding a lot more sections than the original three) So an example of this would be Section 1 Grid-box1 (1.1) or Section 2 Grid-box 5 (2.5). I then established my "Rules" in each section and grid-box as an example in 1.1 I would operate the ATX at factory settings only and record the results in my note book. I have a ton of data on this and will share in detail in a later post when I get it all together. Im just trying to provide the bases of what I did in this post.

4- (Stay Consistent) This is very important! When you establish your "Rules" for the sections do not break them. It was very tempting for me to play with the settings to try and get more favorable results while I was still actively working a rule in a box. To ensure that you are learning how the ATX is responding in a trashy area you must develop true data to work off of. As you progress through each section and grid-box you will systematically go through different settings that are established based on the true data you collected in the previous section and grid-boxes. Staying consistent will actually speed the learning process along.

Remember these are just general tips to establish the base of how I learned and am still learning to operate in trashy areas successfully. There is so much more to it that I will share later on. Please feel free to critique me. Its the only way I will get better.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the new arrival!! They are a challenge and a blast at the same time. :) you have a lot more patience than me using the ATX in those trashy areas. I think I would just use a different detector myself. Good luck my friend!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of learning a pulse is to learn where to use it, where you have a chance, where the targets are too deep for a VLF. Otherwise you are not making the best use of your time. Clive Clynick has a book on pulse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread