Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2008
Clearwater, FL
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brief background.
I started detecting in `08 with an Ace 250. The thing was a beast! I found several gold rings & a NICE gold "grill", which all went to midwest refin. & paid for a gti 1500.
I then sold my 250 to a close friend for a smoking deal...who cracked the housing shortly thereafter :( (never should've let that 250 go):BangHead:

in `10 I sold off my MD stuff because of shoulder issues. Two years later I got the MD itch & came across a deal on a gently used gti 1500 for a fair price.
Got surgery this past summer on busted shoulder & it's well enough to start swinging again.

So I'm currently using the gti 1500 with the stock coil & occasionally the 8.5x11 DD...can't say I've warmed up to the DD very much.

I'm wondering if the AT brings anything to the table that my 1500 doesn't.
I don't beach or water hunt. Only parks or private prop. I think the AT is 1lb lighter, if I read that right...sure miss the light weight of my old 250 after swinging all morning.

steveo40

May 10, 2014
I don't have any experience with the 1500,but the At is a great machine and both coils I use are the DD. Garrett does make concentric coils for the AT but you will probably have to buy them separately.

OP
OP
GroundsClown

GroundsClown

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2008
Clearwater, FL
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm curious about the frequencies that each uses. If I read right the gti runs at 6.5khz and the atpro at 15khz.
I don't like the thought of losing the imaging and the weight isn't the sole reason I'm eyeing another machine.
I'm curious if the atpro, with newer electronics & a higher khz wouldn't serve me better.

I pretty much hunt parks in either coin or jewelery mode and notch out if things are trashy. If it's really bad or I'm simply not in the mood, I'll flip over to custom & cherry pick.

The more I think about my question the more I think I'm the only one that can answer it...and only if I can test both side by side.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The AT will get you better depth on the same sized objects, more accurate ID for coin sized objects, but won't image (size) the smaller targets like the GTI 1500. The GTI uses 8 x AA batteries, the AT Pro uses 4 x AA batteries. The AT Pro is completely water proof, the GTI, only the coil is water proof. If I was to purchase either machine for the same price, I would go with the AT Pro.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you aren't hunting salt spend a little more for the at gold and get the true all metal mode with threshold to punch deeper. I use both and the gold is my go to machine now. I live no where near salt water and only hunt rivers around me. The pro is a great machine also and I found a lot of great things with it but like I said I prefer the gold when comparing the 2. Just my opinion.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used both and you will find a harness to take some of the weight of the 1500 off your arm. I like the spot on pinpointing of the GTI better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread