Is This Legal??

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt it is legal.

If the name were different, the shape May be legal.
But hard to believe they can legally use the GARRETT Logo.

even so. since the price is so close to the original.
why would someone buy ?

if they were $20 bucks, I'd consider trying one

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously illegal because they're breaking copyright and patent laws but because they're selling from out of country they're trying to skirt the law. Its just like the Chinese knock off shoes, purses etc..if its sold in the USA its illegal. These punks need to be dealt with

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually just reported this to Amazon because it does break their seller rules and I added that if they refuse I will report it to Garrett and they can handle it with them. I cant stand ppl like this who pawn off their crap on us and use the names of legitimate USA businesses to promote their products

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job BZ.... yes it is totally illegal. These have been on eBay before and I reported it to eBay then. The seller posted that his were "cracked" copies...I hate thieves...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what are "cracked" copies ?

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent an email to Garrett right after I posted it here, I figured they knew about it already but...just in case. Maybe they'll send me a hat for it! Lol

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what are "cracked" copies ?

I think they get the term from "cracked it open" and duplicated it. Or maybe they are butt cracks that can't invent things for themselves to sell. Either way...they're butt cracks.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at add and agree Amazon should remove these. It is theft. Good job letting everyone know op.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just left a review...suggest we all do same.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
They have been available for over a year. Illegal yes. It's very hard to prosecute a company in China. If you see a product with a price that is simply too good, there is a reason for it. Fisher, Minelab and Whites have all had cheap Chinese knockoffs produced. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if that was illegal, amazon would have put a stop to it awhile ago. I think it is just the way the title is worded. "high quality copy" what they meant by that I don't know. But if you look at the pictures it is a garrett pinpointer with there patten number on it and it says made in the USA and its about the going price for the real deal. If I had to guess, id say its was the real deal. Unless they posted photos from garrett and sold there own. In which case someone who bought one would have complained long ago im sure. But when I see something I want to buy on line and I don't have a good feeling about it. I just move on to another seller. Like ebay, they better have a 99% positive feed back or i'll pay more $ to another person on ebay that does. Just to know Im going to get what I want. And if I have to pay a few dollars more, sometimes its worth it in the long run. Just my take..

Just looked again at it. Nobody has reviewed it so probably nobody has bought this from him. His few other reviews didn't look that good. I would beware of this seller for sure.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if that was illegal, amazon would have put a stop to it awhile ago. I think it is just the way the title is worded. "high quality copy" what they meant by that I don't know. But if you look at the pictures it is a garrett pinpointer with there patten number on it and it says made in the USA and its about the going price for the real deal. If I had to guess, id say its was the real deal. Unless they posted photos from garrett and sold there own. In which case someone who bought one would have complained long ago im sure. But when I see something I want to buy on line and I don't have a good feeling about it. I just move on to another seller. Like ebay, they better have a 99% positive feed back or i'll pay more $ to another person on ebay that does. Just to know Im going to get what I want. And if I have to pay a few dollars more, sometimes its worth it in the long run. Just my take..

Just looked again at it. Nobody has reviewed it so probably nobody has bought this from him. His few other reviews didn't look that good. I would beware of this seller for sure.

good point.
it could be the dealers misinterpretation of what the word copy means

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

woodknack

Feb 2, 2015
Detector(s) used
USING-Tesoro DeLeon, Vaquero, Compadre

OWNED-Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites Classic II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow good to know! All the more reason to buy off a dealer instead of Amazon or ebay.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Amazon deleted the truthful negative reviews?

OP
OP
Chad1972

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy lots of stuff from Amazon, that's where I got my AT Pro, and I was seeing if there were any AT ProPointers on there yet. That's when I saw this crap. So I did some checking and sure enough there are bootleg copies being sold. I guess soon they'll put some orange paint on them and sell them as AT's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread