Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.
I got my Pro-Pointer AT-Garrett Carrot as I've heard it's being called now, a few weeks ago. It came with a fresh Eveready battery installed and I would say it has been on no more than 20 minutes max mainly to test it's features. Yesterday when I turned it on and pointed it at a coin it started to emit a warbling sound much like what I've heard that the previous Garrett pointer makes when it has a low battery. Turning it on and off didn't help. I set it aside for a while and then upon turning it on again it went back to normal, then did the same low battery alarm thing about 1 minute later. I then removed the battery and did the tongue on the contacts test and found it still pretty shocking. Has anyone eles run into this? I have since installed a new Energizer battery, but I'll need to wait til the snow is gone to test it properly. So I'm looking at mid June here in central NY. :laughing7:
Still that Eveready battery has a good charge on it. Any thoughts?

-Dr. Witty

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found pinpointers need A lot of power, when I pull my 9 volts out of the old Garret, and minelab pro finds the batteries power on a power tester was THE FIRST "o" in GOOD. the meter reads bad-good a new one reads on the D. Did you replace the batterey?

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like your original battery was not to good. Replace it and hopefully you will be fine. You don't have to wait to go out side. Turn it on and use it on stuff around the house to see if it does the same thing as the original battery. If so, I would send it back to Garrett.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I bought some fresh Energizer batteries and installed one. If this 40 degree heat wave continues through till the weekend, I may just get a chance to test it out in the back yard in the mud. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wont know until I try it out for a while, I'll do that tonight when I get home from work.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The battery that came with it was a carbon 9 volt battery. Short battery life and not very forgiving in cold weather. It sounds as if you were on the fringe of acceptable battery voltage life when it started that low battery signal, stopped and did it again. The new alkaline battery should fix your issues.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get half the battery life in the very cold with an xpointer. I use the left over battery in a mini electrolysis set up
DSC00783.JPG
It doesn't run too hot and damage delicate stuff.
Safe way to get into the bigger set ups. Don't use stainless steel as the sacrificial metal.Start off cleaning the less important stuff. Interesting to watch coins clean up.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah mine did it yesterday as well. Every time it would touch the dirt in the hole it would sound off. I really go thru the batteries with it. It does not completely kill the battery before the pointer gets erratic. Seems I carry as much battery weight as I do water.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I get half the battery life in the very cold with an xpointer. I use the left over battery in a mini electrolysis set up
View attachment 1129337
It doesn't run too hot and damage delicate stuff.
Safe way to get into the bigger set ups. Don't use stainless steel as the sacrificial metal.Start off cleaning the less important stuff. Interesting to watch coins clean up.

That's a great idea with those used 9 volts. Lots of great talent on this forum!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The new battery did the trick. Thanks all for the advice and the cool tips.

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Whites 4900/D, Fisher TW-6, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new battery did the trick. Thanks all for the advice and the cool tips.

Glad to hear that. Been thinking of getting a Garrett Carrot as my next pinpointer.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive found pinpointers need A lot of power, when I pull my 9 volts out of the old Garret, and minelab pro finds the batteries power on a power tester was THE FIRST "o" in GOOD. the meter reads bad-good a new one reads on the D. Did you replace the batterey?

That's interesting. My XPointer, after 8-10 hrs of use, would turn off a minute after I turned it on with the flashing LED/low battery signal. I assumed the battery was "used up" and removed it for the winter. I saw the battery the other day laying close to it and placed it on the tip of my tongue and it didn't feel weak, but still usable in anything else. I'm wondering if pinpointers need exclusive power and are considered low when a little less than half the charge is left.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cheap Radio Shack or Sears Crappy Digital Multi meter = way better than fifty years ago. Nowadays you can tell the exact voltage of your batts, and you dont even have to taste the crappy things.

So are the new pro pointers power hungry? My original pro pointer will run forever on a battery!

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a decent multimeter for years since I lost my first Fluke, just didn't want to pull it out for a simple tongue battery test. Also that battery tested good at 9.43 volts, It's brand new! I haven't had a chance to use the Garrett Carrot with the new Energizer cell yet since the ground is still rock solid here in Syracuse, NY. Maybe that first low battery signal was, well...a fluke? I wont know till the weather warms up. It's supposed to get to a whopping 50 degrees here on Thursday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread