Garret ATI Pro, Ace 250 ATI Gold, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I prefer the concentric coil over the DD coil. The DDs read bottle caps as coins. Not so with the concentric coils. Concentric coils give more accurate id compared to DD's. In my soil, the DD is not deeper then my concentic coil. Check out my video below:

coilcomparisons.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flies and Baits 234.jpg Flies and Baits 242.jpg The difference is in the search field too. The DD coil is better in trash because you can have a smaller field down the center and don't have to over lap sweeps as much. If ya don't over lap with the Conc. you'll miss coins at the bottom where the field might only be 2".:coffee2:

Attachments

• Flies and Baits 233.jpg
    Flies and Baits 233.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,504
Last edited:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Love your bar graph for depth of detection with the different detector setups and targets. Wish such graphs were displayed more often for various detectors by TreasureNet contributors.

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love your bar graph for depth of detection with the different detector setups and targets. Wish such graphs were displayed more often for various detectors by TreasureNet contributors.

Yes indeed and agreed. Cool illustrations.
Im new to detecting and dont know farts from fiddle sticks. I have read many different articles and reviews that say "yes you are correct" lawman0210 in your original question. Ive read very few that have read otherwise but I guess everyone's situation, equip, ground, etc...is different. I say this because I researched some of the differences of the standard factor coils that come with the Pro vs Gold and what they are capable of. Most everything Ive read about the DD coils that was experimented by someone that has a lot of hours in the field have said they have found things with the DD that they didnt find before at the same spots with other coils. Again take my advice for what its worth but Im certain that was the correct assessment from what I read.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are in a trashy area I feel the DD's are better for the separation, the concentric give a better ID and depth. However they must be centered over the object to get the deepest depth. I used the DD'd all the time and with Grey Ghost headphones you will be able to get better sound ID. But you will never be good enough not to ever dig some trash. Hope this helps

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been contemplating in getting another coil for my ATPRO, I am torn between the 5x8 DD, the 6x9 Concentric and the 9x12 concentric. I like the idea the concentric rings up bottle caps different then the DD, depth to me is not an issue on any of these coils as most stuff I find is in the 3 to 6 inch range. I was going to get initially the DD for the weight and Separation but if the 6x9 does the same I might sway towards that one.

What I want is lighter coil, bottle cap tone different, better separation in trash, getting in close to objects, lower cost price.....Do you think the 6x9 or maybe the 9x12 concentric complete those goals?

I know that the 5x8DD has good target separation and is lighter, but the 6x9 Concentric is nearly as small and light but is the target separation good too? I also know that with the 6x9 I have to go a little slower and overlap sweeps a little.....but it seems not many people use it, does it have a bad rep?

I have read up on some info concerning coils but a comment from owners of these coils would help, thanks John for your take on the 9x12 concentric, it what got me thinking about getting one instead of the 5x8 DD, Just wondering if any one can help me decide one way or the other.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you arent concerned with additional depth,but would like to tell when its a bottle cap,want lightweight and excellent seperation....the 5x8 dd is a must have.In fact once I put one on my atp it has never come off.in pro mode it is easy to tell its a bottle cap nearly all the time.Also dd is better in iron and heavy soil
I am going to get the larger concentric soon for depth alone.I like concentrics for target id but my soil is so mineralised that I can only use them in certain areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread