Ace 250/350 MODS: wireless audio mod + internal speaker + backlight

Tokomo

Feb 23, 2007
Los Angeles CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just got back from taking my new wireless audio mod for a test drive, and it worked perfectly!

I used a Bluetooth transmitter, Mono 1/4 to 1/8 cable, and a BT headset.

image-16-03-15-01-09 (1).jpeg mpowandHeadset.jpg

Transmitter:
MPOW Streambot Slim Wireless Portable Bluetooth Stereo Music Transmitter
http://goo.gl/8uNj5O

Cable:
Mono 1/8 Inch TRS to 1/4 Inch TS
Amazon.com: Hosa Cable CMP105 1/8 Inch TRS to 1/4 Inch TS Cable - 5 Foot: Musical Instruments

Headset:
Note: Headset must be A2DP (ability to stream music) any BT headset or headphones will work. Also best to get something that has volume control!
August EP620 - Bluetooth Headset with A2DP
Amazon.com: August EP620 - Bluetooth Headset with A2DP - Hands Free Speaker Phone with Media Playback (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
Issue: This headset only lasts about 3 hours max. For longer battery life I recommend a Plantronics M55 headset

Internal speaker mod:

This is a great video guide on how to install a 500 ohm pot for internal speaker volume control

Advanced hacker mod: LCD Backlight
One last thing... Many of you may have seen the Backlight mod done with an EL foil.

Someone on youtube is selling a kit for this, but they want to sell you instructions on how to do it.
Selling knowledge pisses me off so here it is:

Watch the Internal speaker mod video above to see how to disassemble your control box.

Buy yourself an EL panel from Adafruit: Electroluminescent (EL) Panel Starter Pack - 10cm x 10cm White ID: 628 - $24.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Here is a really great guide for cutting and installing your EL foil (leave both power terminal ends):
Note: you cannot wire this directly to your Ace… you must use the AC power inverter!
http://www.compsys1.com/support/docs/ELbacklight_Guide.pdf

Any other cool mods I missed?

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool mods-
Sunray probe! Not mine btw.
YF-1_MOUNTED_ON_ACE_250_2.jpg

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool deal. I have the taotronics bt device on my atp. I was experiencing slight lag and attributed it to the headphones. I was right. The bt headphones were super cheap bt headphones and were only bt v2 compliant. I tried my buddies sony headphones and they worked like a champ. I bet they were also a2dp compliant. Cheers!

OP
OP
T

Tokomo

Feb 23, 2007
Los Angeles CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The Sunray probe is a nice mod! My buddies all have a Garrett Pro Pinpointer: Garrett PRO-POINTER Pinpointer Metal Detector | Manufacturer This will be my next purchase... if you haven't used one you don't know what your missing!

I definitely recommend spending a bit more on the BT headset (they are nice to use for phone calls too). PS: I paired my headset to my phone as well so when I got a phone call while metal detecting I was able to answer without skipping a beat!

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Where do you find the equipment to do this? I looked, and could only find guitar amplifiers, most of which were wired, not wireless.

elysiumplain

Nov 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone done this? I don't feel that the 4xAA inverter 85mm x 55mm x 22mm (3.4in x 2.2in x 0.85in) needed for the EL panel would fit inside the housing of the Garrett Ace model!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread