Better Detectors Elssewhere?

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Metal detectors are limited on their output power, by law. I have always wondered, are there countries that allow a higher output power, so that we could buy one there and use it here? Most of the major detector manufacturers are international. I would rather have the higher performing model.
Along those lines, any way to jack up the gain on most metal detectors?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read somewhere detectors produced for Europe push more power.
I'm not absolutely sure it is true.

I am pretty confident there is a difference, considering I also heard some detector
are specifically made for use in their ground conditions.

Whether more power would be good would depend on location though.
Power can produce instability in high iron areas like NE Pa

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, I never knew this, can someone elaborate more on why the power limitations?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For Radio Control airplane transmitters the US allows more output than parts of Europe. They're up in the cell phone ranges now.

I don't know the rules & regulations on detectors. They run in the lower bands that wouldn't interfere much with TV, radio, cell phones, etc. It gets REALLY busy up in the GigaHertz ranges (see link to chart).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...locations_Chart_2011_-_The_Radio_Spectrum.pdf

If you are ambitious you can search the link below to see what the FCC allows for our metal detectors.

https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/rules-regulations-title-47

I see "cable locating equipment" on 9kHz to 490 kHz can use 10 Watts. Lower that that does not appear to be regulated, and if not running off AC is exempted.

I believe things have changed and actually loosened up - operator licenses no longer needed for marine VHF (25 Watts). Handled VHF are going 6 Watts.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just because good German beer contains 16% alcohol doesn't mean that we get it here. Their export is geared to US regulations, and each states laws. I used to buy 12% in S.C, while N.C only allowed a 8% alcohol limit. Here in TN, higher alcohol beer can only be sold in Liquor stores, while their weaker counterparts are sold in Grocery Stores. Go figure.

Unless you can get someone to buy it in another country and get passed customs, you may be buying a unit geared for the US regulatory. Just saying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread