What is the consensus on coil covers????

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
D2
Use it ,but clean it from time to time,may save a chip in the coil and won`t effect the depth...keep the bottom of the coil looking good.
Gary

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you keep you coil on the ground, you want to use it. They take the scrubbing and scratches so your coil doesnt have to.

Chad1972

Feb 17, 2015
Abilene TX area
Detector(s) used
1 Garrett AT Pro with Nel Sharpshooter coil, 1 AT Pro with a Nel Attack coil, and an Ace 250 (kid's), AT ProPointer, White's TRX pinpointer, Lesche Sampson shovel, Garrett 10" trowel, Viking Digger, S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything I've read says the covers don't effect depth...it's a win win with it on.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scrub coil on the ground so a coil cover comes in handy.

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm also a "scrubber" and have never ran a coil without a cover. Just remember to remove it once every so often and clean the coil and cover (inside and out) and you will be good to go! Covers are cheap,coils not so cheap!:laughing7:

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thank you gent's and will put it on tomorrow...d2

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meh!! I rubber spray all my coils with 3-5 coats and don't have to worry about taking a cover off to clean it. Sometimes I scrub, sometimes I don't. Regardless, I have never hurt a coil because of not using a cover.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meh!! I rubber spray all my coils with 3-5 coats and don't have to worry about taking a cover off to clean it. Sometimes I scrub, sometimes I don't. Regardless, I have never hurt a coil because of not using a cover.
How can you remove the rubber,to check your coil for cracks? They will sometimes crack,without hitting anything! It shows up in the performance,(or lack of performance) in the coil.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use them! Remove and clean out on occasion. No bed liner necessary.

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got the cover on and intended to hunt this morning but I am behind on gun bluing so opted to stay home and work. Headed to a CW camp on the morrow...d2

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Well, if you use a coil cover and wear it out, ask yourself what damage you may have done without it? Of course, if you on;y hunt a dozen or so times a year, in grass parks with the coil a couple of inches above the ground, you will probably be OK. Coil cover = cheap insurance.

gabbyhayes

Feb 9, 2014
Sask.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 AT PRO GTI 2500
V3i SURF PI PRO
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use covers if they are available and I also silicone them on. With silicone if you need to remove the cover you can and the silicone keeps the dirt from getting between the two. A wee bit more weight but protects the coils big time!

Mudball

Mar 5, 2015
TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use covers if they are available and I also silicone them on. With silicone if you need to remove the cover you can and the silicone keeps the dirt from getting between the two. A wee bit more weight but protects the coils big time!
I believe I will try that. It sounds like a good idea.
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions