Is the AT Pro Junk?

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one new. went haywire sent it in for repair than traded it off. Could never get a straight answer as to what the problem is.
I have another machine doing a similar falseing issue intermittently.
I think there is a 1000s' of these machines sitting in the used cell phone closet.
Upgrade to a better machine or quit this get rich quick hobby.
Not many technicians chiming in.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought one new. went haywire sent it in for repair than traded it off. Could never get a straight answer as to what the problem is.
I have another machine doing a similar falseing issue intermittently.
I think there is a 1000s' of these machines sitting in the used cell phone closet.
Upgrade to a better machine or quit this get rich quick hobby.
Not many technicians chiming in.

ummmm....uhhhh....what does that even mean?he doesnt need a repair tech,he needs advice from folks who actually learned to use this machine well.at least you helped the best you could?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have one and it works fine in pro zero mode. It has a slow recovery speed is my only gripe. I get interference when my iPhone is on in my pocket sometimes. But it is a pretty simple machine.

Turn on and ground balance in an area that does not have any signals. Pump that coil. I ground balance off and on.
Put it in Pro mode on the left hand side then scroll down to zero mode you are now in Pro Zero mode
Put sensitivity up to 3 or 4 bars to start.
Iron discriminate up high to start then back it down till you get faint grunts on iron. I like to hear the grunts of iron as it alerts me to maybe other things close.
Do not notch anything out and make sure you have not at first.
Turn off your phone
Do not get near your friends coil or hunt with steel toed boots and you should be fine and hit those easy target.
I am sure if you know if you are standing under power lines.
Hope this helps a little and good luck!

Last edited:

treasure diver ct

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my best ring ever with the at pro.... In waist high salt water.... I have found more gold with my excalibur and dig alot less junk though with the excalibur

Attachments

• 1437994424304.jpg
    1437994424304.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 92

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to say the AT PRO is junk, but it isn't. If a detector falses to much it might be to hot for the location. Many that sent in their detector, had them dumbed down (sensitivity lowered) to give the impression of improved performance. There are many reasons for the unstable detectors. My beef with the ATP is the false advertising that it is a good beach detector, not taking into account the different conditions of beaches around the world. No single freq detector works well on the wet saltwater sand, but is okay in the dry sand. However even there, there are better detectors without screens.

treasure diver ct

Mar 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with sandman, I loved the at pro, but it just isn't a wading machine, you can get to know the machine well and do wading and be able to tell the difference between a false and solid signal... But beach hunting with the excalibur is like chalk and cheese compared to the at pro... The at pro is awesome but way more towards relic hunting

HoosierDiggin'

Jun 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owned an ATPro for two years. I can say many of my quick hunts are right after work with my steel toe boots on and cell phone in my pocket and never had an issue with interference. Probably because I don't swing over my shoes of course. I wear size 10. Maybe it's due to my small feet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimeSaver

Mar 24, 2014
nepa carbon co
Detector(s) used
garrett ATPRO garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We both purchased from reputable sources. He even bought his from a dealer in Gettysburg PA. We had holes both open and filled with dirt. Had sensitivity both high and low. Got more of the one way hits than the two hits from sweeping side to side. As for start up, I turn on, factory reset, ground balance, move to standard coin setting, iron discr to 40. Sensitivity to 2 bars below the highest point.
The atpro is my first and only mental detector i have and i been using it for a year and ahalf.n I run mine on pro mode zero ,iron disc at 28 ground balance every time i go out with it and fine stuff from 2in to 12in depends on soil .look on pa form you see what i just found .My oldest stuff to date . i live ne pa and i see in green castle there's a few baseball fields there i would try them out there and get to learn the atpro .

OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try. Diggers in the past dug at these fields, and left a lot of open holes, and ruined it for others. I may have to find other public places, but sounds like practice, practice, practice is the answer.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to say the AT PRO is junk, but it isn't. If a detector falses to much it might be to hot for the location. Many that sent in their detector, had them dumbed down (sensitivity lowered) to give the impression of improved performance. There are many reasons for the unstable detectors. My beef with the ATP is the false advertising that it is a good beach detector, not taking into account the different conditions of beaches around the world. No single freq detector works well on the wet saltwater sand, but is okay in the dry sand. However even there, there are better detectors without screens.

I would have to disagree with you on one point there Sandman. The Nokta Fors Core works great in the wet sand and it is a one frequency machine.
It doesn't chatter and it gets great depth. With the ground tracking on when you go from dry sand to wet sand it takes about 5 seconds or less to adjust to that transition and then you're good to go.
I for one am glad that I didn't get an ATPro but got the Core instead. Same price range....but I do believe a much better machine all around.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread