AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went from the 250 to the ATP my only regret was not doing it sooner!! Lol

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz, once you learn it you will love it, its a good all rounder. Start off in pro mode and do some testing, get used to the tones......and you are allowed to get it wet!!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Congrats on getting a great detector, and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing your finds. If you have any questions, just ask. There are lots of great users on this forum. 200 (1).gif

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from the 250 to the ATP my only regret was not doing it sooner!! Lol

I had a 250 for several years and found some cool stuff with it. Then I began to realize that it wasn't hitting quite as deep as other machine owners were reporting. So I got a Tesoro Tejon. Woo mama I got deep after that. But there were two issues with the Tejon. First, I wasn't a seasoned detectorist, second, I wasn't quite smart enough to quickly get up to speed going from the 250 to this machine with all the dials and sound nuances. It took a while. I still like the Tejon a lot but I find it to be more of a specialized relic machine and the soil were I am now chokes its abilities somewhat, or so it seems. Then I got the AT Pro. The sounds and interface were instantly recognizable so the learning curve was much shorter. I got my ATP in the fall I believe and I just ran standard mode for a while. Then once I started to clue in I almost always ran Pro Zero high sens. The ATP is now my favorite go to detector and this year I started to try out water detecting with it, with wonderful early results. I have nothing but good to say about the ATP other than that it felt (particularly when I first got it) head heavy, and it used to put my hand to sleep. I guess that I got used to it or toughened up, but this no longer seems to be an issue for me. I really, really like the AT Pro.

OP
OP
dburch6

dburch6

Jun 13, 2015
southern indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites Coinmaster Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks guys I'm sure I will enjoy it. I grew up in a whites using family. dad and uncles all used coinmasters. so of course that's what I decided to go with first but after a couple years I'm still not very happy with it. thanks for the help guys

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put on the 5x8 coil and don't look back. You'll love the machine once you learn it. I love the 5x8 coil. Balance's the machine

dweaver02

Greenie
May 6, 2015
Hanover, IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a 250 for several years and found some cool stuff with it. Then I began to realize that it wasn't hitting quite as deep as other machine owners were reporting. So I got a Tesoro Tejon. Woo mama I got deep after that. But there were two issues with the Tejon. First, I wasn't a seasoned detectorist, second, I wasn't quite smart enough to quickly get up to speed going from the 250 to this machine with all the dials and sound nuances. It took a while. I still like the Tejon a lot but I find it to be more of a specialized relic machine and the soil were I am now chokes its abilities somewhat, or so it seems. Then I got the AT Pro. The sounds and interface were instantly recognizable so the learning curve was much shorter. I got my ATP in the fall I believe and I just ran standard mode for a while. Then once I started to clue in I almost always ran Pro Zero high sens. The ATP is now my favorite go to detector and this year I started to try out water detecting with it, with wonderful early results. I have nothing but good to say about the ATP other than that it felt (particularly when I first got it) head heavy, and it used to put my hand to sleep. I guess that I got used to it or toughened up, but this no longer seems to be an issue for me. I really, really like the AT Pro.

It used to put my hand asleep also but I guess as you mentioned over time you get use to swinging it and no longer does my hand fall asleep. Now if Garrett could make a better digging tool without the top of the rubber grip popping off. Lol

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
find a area and pound it with the stock coil. Then get the 5x8 and pound the same area again, and be amazed.

OP
OP
dburch6

dburch6

Jun 13, 2015
southern indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites Coinmaster Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's a little nose heavy with the bigger standard coil. so far I love it in the 5 mins a messed with it but I plan on pounding out the yard/woods tomorrow

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It used to put my hand asleep also but I guess as you mentioned over time you get use to swinging it and no longer does my hand fall asleep. Now if Garrett could make a better digging tool without the top of the rubber grip popping off. Lol

Funny how these little things can be such a nuisance. The plastic grip on my RTG water scoop likes to twist on the shaft, to the left or right lately while being used.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can honestly say I have noticed zero depth differance using 5x8 instead of stock.my hunting buddy uses stock still and even he agrees I'm competing as far as depth.The major differance is balance and weight.I cant imagine putting the stock coil back on.I hunt stronger,longer and shove that sucker up under the bushes with ease.In the trash it is far superior and we are almost always in trash.
btw...he is ordering his 5x8 this coming week after we switched machines for a few minutes.

Last edited:

FeroxDraken

Jul 12, 2015
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
White beach ID 300
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can anyone tell me if the AT Pro works in sea water? Can I stand a couple feet in water?

swagman

Nov 9, 2014
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,Teknetic T2LTD, Teknetic 5'' & 11'' coil, AT PRO, Nokta Pin Pointer, Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer, 5 x 8 Coil, Nell 15'' Attack coil, one bum eye and selective hearing.
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as your connections are good and tight then yes, if you have water proof head phones then you can go up to 10 feet deep. With out water proof phones then up to your head lol It is better in sea water then the gold as far as chatter, the gold does not like the minerals. Some one with a gold can correct me if I am wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread