Ace 350 and the New Guy

OldGringo

Jun 19, 2015
Missouri City, Tx.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, I need some schooling on the 350. I've had the detector all of 3 weeks, and made as many trips to the city park sand volleyball pit. While swinging the coil in the Zero discrimination mode and sensitivity set at 6 bars I'm getting a lot of chatter from the machine which is not repeatable no matter from which direction or coil height.
I was wondering if the surface of the sand being very irregular might be an issue, or is it just the nature of the beast? I'll probably crank down the sensitivity next trip out and take notes. Have any of you experienced this?

Regards,
OG

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya, bump sens down. Two or three notches at least. Go more if it's still erratic. Lowest iron up to just below foil discriminated out can be tried too in case soil is mineralized. Detector will tone on iron still, but won't dwell on it. Except iron icon can stay on too long on mine sometimes.
Don't trust it to find other objects while iron icon stays on if yours does.
As long as your coil is consistently level over surface ,the surface itself should not matter.
If it happens everywhere after reducing sens, and there are no power lines or other power sources then check your coils cable wrap at base to be sure it's not flopping.
Next if using a coil cover be sure it's not holding debris.
Batteries below half charged can create erratic chatter too.
Last try would be to hold down power button till it beeps, to do a reset.

Last edited:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
It sounds like a sensitivity issue, like everyone else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread