Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently added a pair of Gray Ghost Amphibian headphones to my AT Pro and in a word—wonderful! I wanted a pair of headphones that met four essential criteria: 1) they had to be at least as waterproof as my AT Pro. 2) They must have adjustable volume control with good range. 3) They had to be slim and comfortable and most importantly, 4) They must have excellent sound quality and be sensitive enough to pick up those “whispers” associated with small and/or deep targets. Having a very positive experience with Gray Ghost headphones on my two Minelab Excaliburs, I thought these might also be the ticket for the AT Pro. The Gray Ghost Amphibians completely satisfied my 4 requirements. They are indeed waterproof down to 30 feet, they have a very nice volume control with excellent range, they are slim and comfortable enough to wear all day long, and lastly, they do produce great quality sound and are sensitive enough to tell me about those little whispers that could possibly reveal smaller treasures that may be hiding deep in the ground. If you have an AT Pro, I strongly recommend these Gray Ghost Amphibians.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Definitely a good product BUT just like anything made that is "waterproof", it can fail. The newer Amphibians have a plastic capsule that seals the water out of the piezo. Five or six screws hold on the lid which is sealed with an O-ring..... IF it wasn't properly sealed/tightened at the factory and you use them underwater, they will leak and eventually the piezo will fail from corrosion...... See attached picture showing water inside piezo capsule.
IF you are just using them water hunting, and don't plan on any underwater hunting, you will be safe for many years....

Cliff

Attachments

• 2014-07-08 06.50.13.jpg
    2014-07-08 06.50.13.jpg
    959 KB · Views: 492
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Cliff is correct in the sense that if you plan on some serious underwater work, as in scuba diving, Gray Ghost makes a set of Underwater headphones that should be used instead of the Amphibians. Right tool for the right job and as I always say, my comments on the Gray Ghosts are just the view from my foxhole.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are the Amphibians not suitable for scuba?

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Are the Amphibians not suitable for scuba?

Amphibians are designed for a limit of about 30 feet--water hunting and some snorkeling. If you are a hard core scuba diver, I'd recommend you consider the Underwater set that are designed for greater depths.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amphibians are designed for a limit of about 30 feet--water hunting and some snorkeling. If you are a hard core scuba diver, I'd recommend you consider the Underwater set that are designed for greater depths.

DetectorPro Professional Metal Detector Headphones

".....Headphones come without connector so you can add your own or hard wire into your unit......"

Not sure how safe it would be for me to add my own connector...?

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would they fit a woman with a small head? I'm 5' tall and one thing I've found with headphones is that more times than not they're too big for my head and slide around. That's the case with the stock phones I got for my ATP. I just can't keep them on my head if I set the ATP down without taking them off. Gets to be pretty annoying. That's been my hold-back from water hunting :(

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Would they fit a woman with a small head? I'm 5' tall and one thing I've found with headphones is that more times than not they're too big for my head and slide around. That's the case with the stock phones I got for my ATP. I just can't keep them on my head if I set the ATP down without taking them off. Gets to be pretty annoying. That's been my hold-back from water hunting :(

I can't promise or say they would fit a small head...not personally knowing the head...but I can tell you this, they fit much better than the stock headphones. They are not as wide or as big overall. I found them to be just a slimmer more comfortable headphone.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
The Gray Ghosts will not work on the AT Gold just in case you were going to order a set.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love my ghosts... the stock headphones were quite flimsy, outer foam piece would fall off everytime you took them off.

When I hunt, My right ear is covered fully, but the left side, I ride it up high on my head(a bit cooler here in FL)... and can hear propointer along with my surroundings clearly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread