Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NEL Big Coil For the AT Pro...my thoughts

So a last week I ordered the NEL Big coil (15"×17") and finally got to try it out today. Here are my thoughts on it in case anyone is on the fence of buying one.

Opening up the box I find they sent me the gray version. I guess it's not a big issue but I was hoping for black to keep everything matching. Picking up the coil you can tell it's really well made. No issues on packaging...no scratches, dents or dings. Mine came with the coil cover and the extended screw mount and extra washers along with a velcro cable holder. Now to the detecting.

I'm no punk but this thing is a BEAST and if you plan on swinging it you may as well get a harness. I bought the Minelab Pro Swing 45 and it helped but I'm definitely still sore writing this. I went with my two best detecting partner and they were both running pro zero mode and using the stock 8"x11" coil and they smoked me. We hunted a known location for finding good targets and the farmer was kind to enough to flip the dirt for us and uncover a whole new treasure trove. I was running in pro zero as well and the numbers looked good and I did dig some flat buttons but the tiny flat buttons that were sitting right on top...I mean an inch down...sounded like they were a foot deep. Barely squeaking when I passed over them. Even had me guessing whether to dig...glad I did. This area we hunted was not trashy at all. It's been worked by 3 of us for 3 years and we haul out our trash finds.

I switched back to the stock coil about an hour before we left and after 7 hours of hard hunting with the BIG. Started finding stuff I had missed in areas I know I had been over that day.

All in all I wish I would have saved my cash and left the NEL sitting in he store. I'm gonna take it out again a few more times to see what happens and if maybe it's just a learning curve on my part.

I know there are fans of the NELs and I hope I don't make y'all mad...this is just one person's real world experience and my opinion.

Hope this helps fellas...to put it short and sweet...save your money. If this opinion of mine changes I will gladly update this post.

Oo-v-oO

Greenie
Sep 22, 2014
Live Free or Die, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Quantum II
Garrett Carrot, Harbor Freight pinpointer
Lesche & Finnish gardening tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious - did you do a factory reset after swapping coils? It's recommended whenever swapping coils.

I do whenever I swap between the small and large stock DD coils.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get tired of swinging my Nel 12x13 Tornado pretty quick especially if im not finding keepers. No way would i want the 15x17. I find myself using the 5x8 most the time

OP
OP
Metal.detective

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious - did you do a factory reset after swapping coils? It's recommended whenever swapping coils.

I do whenever I swap between the small and large stock DD coils.

I did not and to be honest with you I completely forgot about it. I read that the other night while doing some reading on reviews of the coil and had a complete brain failure today. I will try this next weekend and see where that lands me. Can you remind me how to factory reset again and do you reset before you fire it up with the new coil or just reset after it is wrapped and plugged in. Thanks for that reminder.

OP
OP
Metal.detective

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get tired of swinging my Nel 12x13 Tornado pretty quick especially if im not finding keepers. No way would i want the 15x17. I find myself using the 5x8 most the time

The Pro Swing 45 is well worth the money Toasted. It helped BIG TIME. It still wears on you but it takes about 4 or 5 hours compared to the 1 or 2 without it.

Oo-v-oO

Greenie
Sep 22, 2014
Live Free or Die, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Quantum II
Garrett Carrot, Harbor Freight pinpointer
Lesche & Finnish gardening tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swap coils first, then hold down the power button until it beeps a few times quickly. Done! Don't forget to ground balance, reset any settings you may have saved in Custom mode, etc.

Hopefully that helps.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big coil equals more depth on larger targets but you lose sensitivity to small targets. Smaller coil you lose depth but have more sensitivity to small targets. It has always been like this and likely always will be. The really big coils are made for cache and larger relic hunting not for general coin hunting. One has to use the coil most suitable to what they are looking for. I have been at it for forty five years and have had many machines and prefer an 8" coil for general coin hunting and I never go over 11" for coin hunting. Most coins will be found 6" or less if the ground is undisturbed anyways so if you are hunting undisturbed soil the need for a large coils is nil. You giant NEL coil would find a civil war belt plate at 15-18" but will not really see a three cent piece at 3-4".

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the5x8 for about3 yrs with (I think ) great success// I bought the NEL Tornado and have used it for 4-5 hunts//
I have not found any reasons to keep it so it is now up for sale at a good discount// E me at [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions