QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to do my very first review of a product unboxing. Of course anyone is going to be excited opening up a new detector. First things first, I think I've always had this detector in the back of my mind since it came to market but this is the first time I've actually ever seen one other than on the internet. Taking all the components out it was really nice to see a hip mount included, great touch, from the assembly screws to even a DVD was included.

Here are the things that impressed me the most:

The Control Box, very well made and sturdy, the knobs are very firm, not wobbly ( for some reason I just assumed they would be, total surprise), the bezel and the housing itself are well constructed, the battery system is dead simple, really impressed.

The Coil, it is lighter than expected cause it is big and again construction is really stellar, the cable itself is pliable but definitely not cheap and it has a nice graphic to set it off and the control box connector is very nice, a lot of thought went into these 2 items.

Here is what I wasn't impressed with:

The Rechargeable Battery, the battery itself is fine, the way it connects to the charger is really cheap and honestly needs revised. A cheap 9V connector with a charger that has no indicator lights as to charge status, I'm still not sure if its even charging cause the foam battery spacer needs to be squished to connect, this might have been fine when first released but this needs to be addressed for a detector in 2016, just move to a proper lithium system / charger combination. However with that said, it is still nice that has a recharger pack, so although disappointed with the type of charging system it still is a bonus to have an option other than 2AA's.

The Shaft, now this is where disappointment really sets in, honestly for a conventional use shaft, its terrible, there is no other way to describe its performance. Its like making a ski pole out of spaghetti that has been cooking for 5 minutes. With the large beautiful DD coil and the number of section, its not up to the caliber of the rest of the components. The shaft materials itself are nice looking but that wears out in a about the 2 minutes I swung the detector back and forth, taking away the luster of the other well made components. Now I don't know how long the Infinitum has been out, I'm guessing maybe 2002, maybe not, but I don't think the detector has ever seen a revision and I think its time to give it a bit of a face lift but address the shaft and either create 2 versions, a scuba version and conventional shaft, and not an S shaft. Create a Garrett Infinitum LS Carbon Edition, I would actually pay more for a unit with a carbon fiber shaft, that change would give a complete out of the box experience.

Summary:

My comments are not to put down a product or change anyones mind on a future purchase, I just feel the shaft doesn't live up to the control box, control box brackets or the 14" DD coil, it is by far the weakest link in the package. i'm going to assemble it just try it out during the winter but I'm definitely ordering a carbon fiber shaft, this will make it so much more rigid, especially with the bigger coils. This is my first Garrett, well this is my third detector in my life and its been like 20 years in between each time, well sort of, so I'm very happy with the purchase. Yah Me!

Cheers :hello2::hello2::hello2:

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after my quick 15 minutes trying in my backyard, the included shaft, although I don't like any S shaft, because the Infinium is a slower swinging detector the wobble I first didnt like in the house really isn't an issue if you swing the detector correctly so anyone thinking of buying, only if your preference is a straight shaft its not necessary to replace. This machine is heavy and in my backyard I was unable to get a stable hum, I have power wires not 30ft above my head both to my house and neighbours, had a similar issue with my Fisher too. There are definitely items in my yard it gets loud when I came across something tgat set it off.

My rechareqble battery didnt obviously charge after 8 hours of charging, as I mentioned earlier the cheap main charger has the really shitty 9v connector, its not the one they show on they show on the trakning videos with the solid 9v connector head, this is the flimsy vinyl connector, cheezy.

Going to take it to a beach tomorrow just to play with setting freq., and stuff, bit too cold to stay out long. Going to be a fun detector.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Good luck at the beach. May your first voyage with the Infinium score you a big gold and diamond ring! [emoji183]

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck at the beach. May your first voyage with the Infinium score you a big gold and diamond ring! [emoji183]

Thanks, well the sand itself is probably frozen ans covered in snow, its been like -13 and yesterday it warmed up but froze again. My back yard looks like a skating rink. But ill bring my hand scoop just in case. The grey ghosts sure are comfortable.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was hoping temps would be closer to 0 today but at -6 and windy its more like -10 so don't want my maiden voyage being so cold and im not sure if that is too extreme for the eletronics as well. My anderson shaft will be here this week anyway so keep it nice and cozy till then. Going to at least go check out some spots today.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on getting started with a great machine.

Mine is on an Anderson straight shaft, belt mounted control box, Grey Ghost headphones. I exclusively hunt in the water with it.

The DD coil works best in salt, the mono best in fresh.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting started with a great machine.

Mine is on an Anderson straight shaft, belt mounted control box, Grey Ghost headphones. I exclusively hunt in the water with it.

The DD coil works best in salt, the mono best in fresh.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the info. Since i have a bit of time till spring I was going to invest in either the 8" or 14" mono but hoping I can get some use with the stock coil and maybe even find some items of value. I have no salt water near me, all fresh water. I've spent a bit of money in one lump so now ill spread extras over the next few months. The only must have left to order is a beach scoop, but eventually a mono and going to take some snorkeling instruction so I'm sure that gear will be another expense to budget for.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
INFINGOLD.jpg

Yes! The un-boxing ceremony.....I feel your excitement! Good luck. Hope you find a place to use it. I have used mine, during the winter in the snow and in the woods.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first 1/2 inch of sand was loose but solid underneath. The lake ice however is really thin but i have no waders.

20160117_105355.jpg

20160117_105441.jpg

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I like your enthusiasm alien_33.gif

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to go back Saturday cause there is no way the sand at the waters edge is frozen so i might have a good strip to practice with with, i'll just bring a small post hole spade.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I bet the sand under the water is still dig-able. I bought a good pair of neoprene waders from cabelas and I can detect all day in frigid/freezing water. Good to get a pair. You can start early b4 the swimmers in spring and have the lake all to yourself and in the fall till freeze up. I use my AT pro in ice water. Never had any probs with the coil.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160123_100309_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Bit of ice build up today. Uggg

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Yes......chest waders with long underwear are a must at this time of year water hunting.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had a break in the weather yesterday was 9c and right now its like 4 or 5c. Going to head back to that beach area in an hour and finally try the new detector.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time, there was a boy, a boy who dreamed of taking out his new shiny detector....and I then I woke up and reality set in, it's the middle of winter......Well that didn't go as planned, I am completely soaked thru. It started to sprinkle as I left and temps went to 4c but thought little drops won't wont hurt anything so I should be able to at least get an hour or so. Getting to the beach I noticed a father and son there and guess what the boy had a shiny detector, a Bounty 2200, actually quite a nice little machine his Xmas present and his first time out. Had a short but nice chat and then got serious. The EMI issues I had at home completely gone, tone was smooth from the power up. Kept disc at 0 and threshold had to bump quite a bit cause I had a toque on. Within 5 secs quickly discovered I had only 3-4 inches of loose sand frozen solid then it happened.......wait for it.........wait for it....friggin rain, the sky just opened up, I've never seen such heavy rain in winter before. 30 minutes later I was splashing around like a little kid cleaning my boots off and washing the coil. Back to my vehicle I go, I was soaking wet but man this detector is going to be fun. I dug bits of pieces of metal but most of the targets were hitting in the frozen sand, I tried gouging it out like an ice pick but it was like cement and sooner or later I was going to slip and maybe cut my fingers off. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread