Why use Pro mode on the AT Pro?

Sarge38624

Nov 28, 2015
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my AT Pro for a few months now and I have had a blast with it. I have found silver, lots of clad, lots of cool relics around town, and quite a few civil war relics. I have been using standard mode for all of this, and I have really gotten used to standard mode. Could someone please explain to me the advantages of pro mode? I have tried it a few times, and I just don't feel nearly as confident with pro mode and I am afraid I am going to miss lots of targets that I would have found if I was in standard mode. I know I need to use headphones with pro mode since deep targets are not as loud, but I really prefer to detect without headphones. Am I going to miss targets while using standard mode that I would see in pro mode? What are the real advantages of pro mode over standard mode? Thanks in advance for your help.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like using the standard mode also. Since most of the targets I find (parks, fairgrounds etc) are pretty shallow, the standard mode works great for me.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The pro mode tones will let you learn much more about a target, prior to digging it, than the "bong" you get in standard mode for any target.
Odd shaped items do not conform to the factory settings of a normal or good target shaped object and, therefore, won't "bong". Take a funky shaped earring or ? made of gold or silver out with you next time and go over it in standard and pro.
That should get you started.
GL and HH ALL

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro mode gives you way more info and I think is a little deeper. I started in pro mode and stayed there. Next time you go switch back and forth on every target and see what you can learn. It's a great machine either way. It takes time to learn pro mode, but when you are in a lot of trash you will love it. Just my opinion. Good luck

HH, Relic Nut

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll just have to decide to put it on Pro mode, and swing, swing, swing and listen, listen, listen. It just takes a little time to learn the machine. It's a great machine. Add a 5 x 8 coil if your in tight or trashy area's, and it's a powerhouse! Good Luck and HH!

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if anyone is into fishing, but I equate it to fish finders/sonars. The default setting on most fish finders converts the sonar return into 'fish' symbols. Most fisherman I know turn this 'feature' off so they can see the raw returns....they make their own mind up on whether those returns represent fish, bait, structure, thermocline, etc. same with the at pro. Pro mode can tell you so much more than standard mode, especially on deep targets.

Nov 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Canadian Badger Canada

Not sure if anyone is into fishing, but I equate it to fish finders/sonars. The default setting on most fish finders converts the sonar return into 'fish' symbols. Most fisherman I know turn this 'feature' off so they can see the raw returns....they make their own mind up on whether those returns represent fish, bait, structure, thermocline, etc. same with the at pro. Pro mode can tell you so much more than standard mode, especially on deep targets.

I have two AT Pro Internatiionals deepest in pro mode. I have found many silver and gold rings. Definitely deep!The high pitches and even the static represent different coins to me.Best all around detector out there.Just my two cents worth. Patrick

OP
OP
S

Sarge38624

Nov 28, 2015
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate everyone's input. Since I am more comfortable running in standard mode right now, will I actually miss targets because I am not in pro mode? If I continue running in standard and switch to pro when I find a good target just so I can learn pro mode while still searching in standard could I be missing targets? I am primarily relic hunting and some of the targets are deeper and I don't want to miss anything. I have the stock coil, the 5x8 factory coil and a NEL attack. Thanks again for the input.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the truth is in the design and programming.standard mode is only there to help the transition from an ace series detector,make it seamless.pro mode is designed to get the maximum capabilities out of the design.pro mode with the 5x8 is a beast in parks and target rich areas.

The target information in pro mode just blows standard mode out of the water.the accurate id on nearly all bottle caps alone is worth the switch.mid range targets like gold and nickles is enhanced.the proportional audio in pro mode is a HUGE advantage in determining depth and size with a much higher degree of accuracy.

recomended setting to begin...pro mode zero..iron descrim at 30-40-iron audio off..ground balanced..sensitivity at one bar below max.

to answer your question on whether you may be missing targets....yes,likely you are.likely you have missed the mark on proper target id on jewelery shaped objects,foreign coins etc.in park environments.you have been recieving minimal info on what your coil is responding to.you are stuck in second gear.

time to take off the training wheels on a truly dynamite mid priced machine.you can become more profecient in a single hunt.you will recieve signals on deeper targets.you will simply know more about what is there.cowboy up and give it a go...switch back to standard on a pro mode target you are confident about...you will see.

good luck...you are gonna love third fourth and fifth gears !!

Oo-v-oO

Greenie
Sep 22, 2014
Live Free or Die, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Quantum II
Garrett Carrot, Harbor Freight pinpointer
Lesche & Finnish gardening tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everything Bigfoot wrote except iron audio. I prefer to run with it on. I think there is more of a chance to miss targets in iron-heavy areas if the detector is trying to blank out the iron items.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
If you happen to be in the Charlotte, NC area, please run standard mode, as you will not find as much, which leaves more for me.

Pro audio is the only way to fly. It sounds busy at first, but that is because it gives you a lot more info. Pro audio makes louder sounds the larger the target is (or closer to the coil). You will hear a whisper of high tone on deeper targets (6" or so)... standard mode will not make a sound because it doesn't meet the threshold! When I started with the ATP, Pro mode was just too busy for me, so I used Standard mode... when I hit what I thought was a good target switched to Pro... not long after, I abandoned Standard all together.

Standard mode is binary, it either beeps or doesn't. Pro mode is proportional, faint beep = deep target, loud beep = shallow target. You will only hear faint deep (read: good old) targets in Pro mode.

The most important thing is to enjoy yourself!

Best of luck to you!

Hope this helps

PS: Bigfoot1 is very accurate is his assessment!

OP
OP
S

Sarge38624

Nov 28, 2015
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again everyone. I really really appreciate all of the input. Do you guys think it is necessary to use the headphones? I know in pro mode the sound is faint if the target is deep and I don't want to miss anything by not using the headphones. I have had situational awareness pounded into my head for the last 20+ years and it is difficult for me to feel comfortable with the headphones on because I don't feel like I can be aware of what is going on around me. Maybe I can wear just one?? I really do like my AT Pro. I have had great success with it so far and I want to capitalize on all of the features it has to offer. I am just a super newbie when it comes to metal detecting and I just don't know the answers to these questions. Thanks a bunch.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run with one headphone slid off my ear in shady places sometimes. You will get much more info to your brain with headphones. Especially where the deep ones hide.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate headphones.cant stand wearing em except in a park or beach where others may not appreciate a solid high tone.I think the bears and mtn lions around here would prefer I wear them.I dont think I miss much if anything.when you and your machine speak the same language it isnt hard to hear it whisper sweet nothings to you.I do hunt in very quiet forest areas mostly tho.near the highway...yup...headphones...one off to side if I can

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate headphones.cant stand wearing em except in a park or beach where others may not appreciate a solid high tone.I think the bears and mtn lions around here would prefer I wear them.I dont think I miss much if anything.when you and your machine speak the same language it isnt hard to hear it whisper sweet nothings to you.I do hunt in very quiet forest areas mostly tho.near the highway...yup...headphones...one off to side if I can
That's why I like ear buds. I can still hear what is going on around me.

HH, Relic Nut

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with everything Bigfoot wrote except iron audio. I prefer to run with it on. I think there is more of a chance to miss targets in iron-heavy areas if the detector is trying to blank out the iron items.

I too sometimes hunt with iron audio on if in a mining camp etc....usually I only use it to confirm a bottle cap.also the machine is in fact notching out iron with any setting in iron descrim above zero,already happening.iron audio is only allowing audio signal to pass filter.

the learning curve in pro mode is not a big deal...pretty intuitive.iron audio on all the time might be a bit much for a less skilled user than yourself..a bit overwhelming maybe.an awsome option when used however and an important tool in some areas...:occasion14:

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again everyone. I really really appreciate all of the input. Do you guys think it is necessary to use the headphones? I know in pro mode the sound is faint if the target is deep and I don't want to miss anything by not using the headphones. I have had situational awareness pounded into my head for the last 20+ years and it is difficult for me to feel comfortable with the headphones on because I don't feel like I can be aware of what is going on around me. Maybe I can wear just one?? I really do like my AT Pro. I have had great success with it so far and I want to capitalize on all of the features it has to offer. I am just a super newbie when it comes to metal detecting and I just don't know the answers to these questions. Thanks a bunch.

I get situational awareness. I do not like both phones on, the sounds are awesome, but ZERO awareness... just not for me.

One cup on one off works, you could also get a set of phones that do not seal your ear completely, that way you can hear what's up around you, and hear the pinpointer too, without messing with the phones. They make ear buds that rest just outside the ear too, this will allow you to hear the machine and the surrounding world.

In Pro mode, you really need phones of some variety. The subtle sounds are the going to be key to finding the deeper (better) targets. That speaker is no good, it will not reproduce the subtle nuances that are going to reveal the killer targets. If all you want is 4" or less targets, no issue. If you want the good stuff that other people have missed, you have to use every tool available to you.

You got a machine that WILL find good stuff, but you have to utilize every trick it has to do so.

I have found 4 silver half dollars in the last 60 days. None of the other boys have found ANY. All came from public places where I was assured that I would find nothing, because they were hunted out. It aint easy, but in hindsight, it sure was fun!

Best of luck to you.

Don't hesitate to PM if there is anything that I can help you with. Other TNet members have been a great part of my success and I believe in passing along the good karma!

Thanks for your service sir!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I use them all the time and you would be surprised at how faint a deeeeeeep signal can be. If I worked in silence, then maybe I would go without, but that is never the case here in the big city.

Another thought you should consider is battery life. Using the machine without headphones will go through
batteries faster. I know...it is hardly anything to power an at pro, but it all adds up.
Running with the iron audio on all the time will also quicken the death of batteries.

We all miss good targets. If you don't believe me, go back to a GREAT spot you think you have worked out and go real slow and at different angles. Then, try a different coil, then, wait for a good rain, then, dig all iffy signals.....etc. (or, in your case, just go in pro mode!)
I worked a yard seven times and kept getting more goodies. The first four times, in really dry ground. Second to last time (after a good rain came finally) I found two wheats and a rosie under three large rusty nails. The coins were just an inch or so deeper than the nails. Then, after getting the three coins, I scanned again and found a TINY faint signal in the same spot. Dug about a foot deep to find a 48 quarter.(quarter must have been on edge...too short of a tone not to have been). I'd been over this same spot six times but going at a good pace. Then, the last time I tried with a 15" coil, I found a shallow wheatie next to a bush that I KNOW I went over with other coils and more than once. I did manage a war nickle, deep with some iron masking it and called it good.
10 silver coins, two silver rings and a gold ring came outta that yard. Not more than 4 goodies at a time. (had about a roll of wheats as well) The place was very trashy, obviously. (but aren't most??)

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I never run with discrimination. Pro zero, zero disc. Gold is mixed with many different metals. If you disc too high you may be disc out and missing some gold rings. When you run wide open with no disc, you get more depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread