QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which mono coil would you purchase for beach hunting over the stock DD.

The 8" or 10x14" mono? I am ordering a beach scoop and had the 10x14 in my cart but this being my first PI I wanted help from other Infinium owners as to what they would buy. Fresh water area.

THank you

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on beach or water?

If I'm in the water I prefer the small coils your gonna dig some deep holes starting out as a whisper. The coil being able to fit the hole helps.

I don't use the same detector on the beach so can't help you with that. Nor do I use the same scoop on the beach as in the water. Light weight out of the water.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found quite a bit info and I think for my application the 10x14 is the better choice for all around detecting. If I end up snorkeling and spend more time in the water then I'll pick up the 8" if need be.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Hard to answer, as they are both great coils. I have used them both extensively, and ended up using the 10" x 14" mono, simply because it covered more area per sweep. I hunted a lot of hunted out areas, so the signals weren't as plenty as your typical areas. Also, I liked the extra depth, as I found a lot of deep gold rings missed by other detectors. But, the 8" coil is no slouch on depth either.

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my mono arrived today and a surprise in the box, a 50th anniversary Garrett ball cap, BONUS!

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weight comparison

10x14" Mono - 729g
10x14" DD - 891g

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you hit the water. The weight issue goes away. They feel like they want to float.

mdhammer

Nov 25, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using the Mono 8 in the water at Daytona and was really annoyed with its buoyancy. My wrist quickly got tired and I headed back to shore. :dontknow:

OP
OP
QMaze

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using the Mono 8 in the water at Daytona and was really annoyed with its buoyancy. My wrist quickly got tired and I headed back to shore. :dontknow:

I wonder if there is something you could use to weigh it down. You could make a small weight with sand and old denim pants. Just sew the ends filled with sand, doesn't have to big and just tie wrap it on. Once wet it will help, just an idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread