having trouble identifying between a dime and a penny any pointers?

DiggerKeith

Mar 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a zinc penny a copper penny and a clad dime on the ground about a foot apart. the zinc reads a 75 on the vdi, the copper penny reads a 81-83 the dime also reads a 81-83 and both produce the same tone.
Not that there is anything wrong with digging up pennies , but sometimes I want to hunt for only sliver coins. My old BH3300 was 95% spot on when it said there was a dime it was a dime. I use the stock 8.5 x 11 dd
coil. Any suggestions ? I have read where folks would have to send in their machine to Garrett and they would have to re calibrate the coil to the machine form the factory. Thanks

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Copper pennies and clad dimes have the same conductivity and will read the same on the VDI.

Texas ED

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the other day i dug a silver dime, the reading was 83-84...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I prefer detectors without VDI. So many reasons the numbers can change.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ATP GIVES PENNIES AT 70-MAYBE UP TO 81--any 81-82-90% = A DIME ALWAYS DIG ANY 80 UP pERRY

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me silver dimes are 83. Have dug a few at 82. Dimes are usually 81. Copper pennies are generally either 80 or 82. Older (60's) around 80. Newer 82. Wheats hit for me at 78-80.
This being said they can all vary. Will never know unless you dig.
If you only want silver coins dig nothing under 83. You might miss a couple but chances for a clad dime or copper penny are low if only digging 83 and higher

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing is you never "know" what a target is until you dig.....I have dug silver rings and other jewelry that rang up from 74-93; so you just don't know. And I have dug several Indians that I thought forsure were Zincs. Old coins aren't always deep.....just dig it all.....or all you can!

Pull tab mcfoilson

Jan 26, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett At max
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes you can tell by the size. Like a penny will cover a wider area when you swing your coil. I don't mind digging up cooper pennies but sometimes I do like to guess if it's a dime or a penny.

I do know zinc pennies come in just below the 80s, I don't bother digging those.

daemon1971

Sep 23, 2012
southeast mi
Detector(s) used
pioneer 202, gamma 6000, Garrett ATPro, tesoro vaquero
Sometimes you can tell by the size. Like a penny will cover a wider area when you swing your coil. I don't mind digging up cooper pennies but sometimes I do like to guess if it's a dime or a penny.

I do know zinc pennies come in just below the 80s, I don't bother digging those.

Zincs are a pain , but Indian head cents ring up like zincs also....1864-1909 had tin or zinc used in them.

Pull tab mcfoilson

Jan 26, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett At max
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Zincs are a pain , but Indian head cents ring up like zincs also....1864-1909 had tin or zinc used in them.

Really... I didn't know that I'm going to have to start digging some of those signals. I was pretty happy when I dug a couple wheat pennies. Would be pretty cool to get an Indian head.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dime tends to pinpoint slightly smaller than a penny, so with some practice you should be able to tell that way.

I still dig zincs, as once I was hitting an out of the way older small park in Tucson and while it had been cleaned out of silver and quarters, and most of the dimes, I was getting penny hits every few feet, mostly copper ones, and several of those were wheat pennies. The nice part was a little later in the day one of those "zinc penny" signals turned out to be a nice large man's gold wedding band. 8-)

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use not your eyes, but your ears

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm often surprised the other way around - expect a penny and get a dime. I've also retrieved several small gold items that read as zinc pennies.
luvsdux

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have no idea why anyone would leave ANY penny in the ground just to get silver. First you are missing tokens, second, you could be missing out on key date wheat cents, and third but not last you are for sure missing out on:

Yes that was a solid zinc penny signal at 5 inches.

However, you detect the way you desire. I just think you might be passing up a find of a life time. Oh and one of my pennies was a 1914D in EF40 condition.

Pull tab mcfoilson

Jan 26, 2016
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett At max
Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no idea why anyone would leave ANY penny in the ground just to get silver. First you are missing tokens, second, you could be missing out on key date wheat cents, and third but not last you are for sure missing out on:

Yes that was a solid zinc penny signal at 5 inches.

However, you detect the way you desire. I just think you might be passing up a find of a life time. Oh and one of my pennies was a 1914D in EF40 condition.

Well personally if I'm short on time sometimes Ill discriminate a bit more than usual. So I pass up a lot more signals. Other times when I have a few hours to kill I'll dig EVERYTHING.

I also have a few local parks I usually frequent and figure I'll be back and check again.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread