Get the 5x8 coil, it's the best all around coil for the ATP

OP
OP
richo328

richo328

Jan 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I was looking at your site for the NEL storm is that also good if you have multiple targets or do they tend to bleed together

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
A concentric coil gives more accurate discrimination compared to a DD coil It will get better depth in good soil also. A DD coil lags in target ID, however, gets better depth in higher mineralized soils. So, there is a bit of a trade off. If you are mostly a coin hunter, the concentric coil will help ID bottle caps as such, compared to a DD coil, which mostly reads bottle caps as coins. So....you end up with more coins at the end of the day while leaving junk targets alone. If you like to dig for older coins, especially in mineralized soil, the DD coil is the way to go.

A link describing coils - Garrett's Searchcoil Tech Sheet | How Searchcoils Work

addon.jpg

Concentric coils (above) also tend to pinpoint more accurately.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I was looking at your site for the NEL storm is that also good if you have multiple targets or do they tend to bleed together

Separation is very good for this size of a coil. It's DD, so better at separation than a concentric coil.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the stock and 5x8 coils for AT pro and AT Gold and have never had a need or desire for any others....as stated above the 5x8 is a super coil for separation and gets very good depth for its size. As for Discrimination, I don't use any o the AT pro. I always run it in Pro zero.....and dig by sound and target ID. The stock coil gets good depth when used this way.....I have dug civil war relics at the 10-12" range. Found a U.S. boxplate at over 12" deep....gave a faint but repeatable mid tone.

Last edited:

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question ? I about only use the 5x8 but have the std 9x11-. In hard pan driveway or parking lot with little junk and mostly 6" or less will the 9x11 hit as well and pin point better??
I ask because I use a batt. drill with 5/8" spade bit and need to PP accurately // Perry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread