Wow! The Brand New ACE 400 Garrett l Detector Has Some Surprisingly Good Strengths

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
400i 3.jpg

I opened the box of my new Garrett ACE 400i (International Version) which I recently received. I quickly assembled it, and tried some quick air tests. Now I am very familiar with the ACE Series. I had purchased the ACE 150 and ACE 250 when they were first released in 2004, a much improved Version of the previous models ACE 100, ACE 200 and ACE 300. I liked the ACE 250 so much that it was my preferred coin hunting machine over my GTI 1500.

Fast forward to 2016, the new ACE Series have vastly improved . The ACE 400 now has an iron audio, previously only available in the AT Series. The ACE 400 also has a large number icon, representing the conductivity of any given target.

I tried some quick air test readings on a gold ring, an Indian Head Penny and a Walking Liberty Half Dollar. I surprised with the results. Not only did I get some excellent depth on targets, but the ACE 400 seems to have been tweaked to be ultra sensitive to gold, just like the AT Gold, Infinium and ATX.

Below are the results of the first preliminary comparisons of target conductivity using the ACE 400i. There should be much more to follow in the coming days........

400 i 1.jpg

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is really to bad they chose to have a fixed ground balance, or I would also be playing with one.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
It is really to bad they chose to have a fixed ground balance, or I would also be playing with one.

Having a ground balance would pretty well turn it into an AT Pro. I think it was designed as an upgrade to the previous ACE users or a level entry machine. What you get in the package for what it costs is pretty good.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
I forgot to mention.....all the previous ACE 150, 250,300, 350, & Ace 400 coils are all interchangeable.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was curious as to YOUR cost.

I am currently not in the market.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen the Ace 300 and 400 in action. In it's day, the Ace 250 filled a lot of detecting needs. Then, in the past 6 years, FTP has stolen much of the 250 flare.

These new Aces are exceptional for the small added over price of the 150/250/300. And add a process and recovery speed afforded the above $500 Pro lines of most detectors. For mild soils, which most are, the 300/400 is a sure winner for Garrett in todays competitive arena.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the Ace 300 and 400 in action. In it's day, the Ace 250 filled a lot of detecting needs. Then, in the past 6 years, FTP has stolen much of the 250 flare.

These new Aces are exceptional for the small added over price of the 150/250/300. And add a process and recovery speed afforded the above $500 Pro lines of most detectors. For mild soils, which most are, the 300/400 is a sure winner for Garrett in todays competitive arena.

I would absolutely love to see one perform in my dirt. It seemed to do quite well CCH's dirt...and his soil is less than awesome.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would absolutely love to see one perform in my dirt. It seemed to do quite well CCH's dirt...and his soil is less than awesome.

For some reason, that western oxide soil is so much more treacherous than our eastern soil. I think that is why Whites and Minelab has "tracking" on their detectors, since they both reside in areas of heavy mineralized soils. You may want to consider the TreasurePro for the wife to see if tracking works in your area. Just a thought.

I have detected many places between here and Florida including the coastline up to Ocean City, MD and never experienced anything like I saw on your LRP video.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you buy the machine or did Garrett give it to you ?

I understand the question, but if Garrett sent John the machine to review - God Bless Him! At least the Company trusts him to know how to properly operate and demonstrate the machine. I wish They would send me an ATX! :skullflag:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason, that western oxide soil is so much more treacherous than our eastern soil. I think that is why Whites and Minelab has "tracking" on their detectors, since they both reside in areas of heavy mineralized soils. You may want to consider the TreasurePro for the wife to see if tracking works in your area. Just a thought.

I have detected many places between here and Florida including the coastline up to Ocean City, MD and never experienced anything like I saw on your LRP video.

Wife bought herself a Gold Bug...one of the newer ones for $407 off Amazon. She read where Steve Herschbach said "this and that" about it so she was sold. Not sure where the aliens took the real wife...but this replica is an upgraded model.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Wife bought herself a Gold Bug...one of the newer ones for $407 off Amazon. She read where Steve Herschbach said "this and that" about it so she was sold. Not sure where the aliens took the real wife...but this replica is an upgraded model.
Do you mean that she got a replica or knock off and it will not work that well ?

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you mean that she got a replica or knock off and it will not work that well ?

No...a poor attempt at humour obviously. I was saying the aliens took my wife and replaced her with a "replica" or "clone" who did research on her own metal detector.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
No...a poor attempt at humour obviously. I was saying the aliens took my wife and replaced her with a "replica" or "clone" who did research on her own metal detector.
You know that some times it takes me some time to catch on ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread