Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While watching the Ace 300 info video from Garrett, they mentioned the proper direction to wind the cable around the shaft. The first turn goes over the shaft and not under.

The same thing is shown on the Ace 400 and the AT Pro instructional videos.

Why the importance of the cable winding? I swing a Land Ranger Pro and the manual shows this same cable direction but not a word is mentioned about it.
I do not own a Garrett but am considering an ACE 300 for my son/backup.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't matter. I run my cable straight up the lower plastic shaft, and coil it on the metal upper shaft.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes ..Terry is right it don't matter what way you run your cable ... left , Right , or Straight up the shaft ...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Terry I run my cables straight up the shaft, then wrap them and secure with electrical tape.

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beg to differ - it does make a difference to which way you wind the cable, as having the cable over the lower rod allows the extra cable to loop over the coil, thus giving some protection from the coil cable snagging - winding the cable the other way around has the loop at the foot of the coil - the loop or extra coil cable is needed if coil is taken to its maximum arcs whilst on the shaft - I hope this makes sense -

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wrap it the right way. Depending on where the cable comes off the coil you go over the top. Sometimes that's a right lay sometimes a left. I do generally go starlight up a ways before starting it though. The biggest mistake I see at gathered hunts is not leaving enough slack for coil to flex in any direction.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I beg to differ - it does make a difference to which way you wind the cable, as having the cable over the lower rod allows the extra cable to loop over the coil, thus giving some protection from the coil cable snagging - winding the cable the other way around has the loop at the foot of the coil - the loop or extra coil cable is needed if coil is taken to its maximum arcs whilst on the shaft - I hope this makes sense -
No matter how you wrap it , right , left , or straight up , you can leave enough slack on the cable for coil movement...

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For the less substantial China made units this may be true but for the more substantial well made USA models it is your option as many have stated here. The bit of slack at the coil ears to allow for coil flex and movement is the only consideration.

Digger Max

Oct 27, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
E-TRAC
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 ways to wrap it. The right way and also the users way. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread