How To Double Or Even Triple Your Finds In A Hunt (how to pop coins) Video

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

cdac8e1f16568ecb_m.jpg

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John: Is that coil (with the white dot available for the ATPro ?? Perry

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Hi John: Is that coil (with the white dot available for the ATPro ?? Perry

That's a concentric coil, and is available for the AT Pro also. You have to put your own dot on it though. I just use ink white-out.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ha! Too funny....if you watch the video, and look in the mirror mounted on the wood panels above that white chair, you will see a bunny at about 21 and 43. He managed to get himself in the video. I had no idea! :laughing9:

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John, I like reading your post on this and the other forum. I agree that you can increase your speed of recovery popping with a screw driver as I have done it in the past. Coin popping with a screw driver comes with an increased risk of damaging the coin and in your opening pic on this post and video there is indeed a coin with a nice screwdriver scratch. I was detecting with a friend who destroyed a very nice 1900 Barber quarter with excellent detail and it would have been Ex. Fine except for the large and deep scratch from the screw driver across the face and made it become silver scrap. Granted the coins you where recovering in the video are just face value coins but less experienced forum members should know the risk of damaging a coin worth more then face value. Those people detecting in area's targeting old coins or with reason to believe there maybe old coins in the area need to cut a plug and give it some extra space when you cut it. So that's just my 2 cents on coin popping. Popping works great on face value coins but there is a risk damaging a collectible coin when using this practice. Popping maybe great for tot lots but I myself cut plugs and hunt on historical properties with the intent of recovering collectible coins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Hey John, I like reading your post on this and the other forum. I agree that you can increase your speed of recovery popping with a screw driver as I have done it in the past. Coin popping with a screw driver comes with an increased risk of damaging the coin and in your opening pic on this post and video there is indeed a coin with a nice screwdriver scratch. I was detecting with a friend who destroyed a very nice 1900 Barber quarter with excellent detail and it would have been Ex. Fine except for the large and deep scratch from the screw driver across the face and made it become silver scrap. Granted the coins you where recovering in the video are just face value coins but less experienced forum members should know the risk of damaging a coin worth more then face value. Those people detecting in area's targeting old coins or with reason to believe there maybe old coins in the area need to cut a plug and give it some extra space when you cut it. So that's just my 2 cents on coin popping. Popping works great on face value coins but there is a risk damaging a collectible coin when using this practice. Popping maybe great for tot lots but I myself cut plugs and hunt on historical properties with the intent of recovering collectible coins.

Yes.....you always risk scratching your coins or even a nice gold ring or busting a chain. Successful metal detecting is often based on location location location. It's always a balance between getting your targets out of the ground verses how much damage to cause to the grass. There are places, where (at least where I live) even walking around metal detecting with a digger in your hand will usually cause someone to come over and give you a lecture on damaging manicured grass areas. Too many plugs dug, then those places are off limits forever, allowing whatever sought after targets to be left to continue to oxidize in the soil. That has always been my concern.

I have been at this wonderful hobby for many years and have found my share of dead light colored brown square/round improperly dug plugs noticeably standing out in nice manicured grass. Not good. Short term gain for long term pain sometimes comes to mind.

I have no doubt that the majority of detectorists use the common sense approach to get their targets. This video was directed to those who want to really get a lot of coins and or jewelry in the shortest amount of time. It has worked for me, and should give good results to anyone else who chooses to try it.

Hope you have a great summer and thanks for your comments.:icon_thumright:

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice John ,, Thanks for the great video ! HH

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great concept but here in PA cant dig in the ground without hitting rocks
also how does this work on deep finds?

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
That's a great concept but here in PA cant dig in the ground without hitting rocks
also how does this work on deep finds?

I guess an area with a lot of rocks poses a unique set of problems. For common (clad) coin shooting, targets with a sudden audio cut-off targets are shallow, usually in the top 1" or so. You can also compliment the exact location using your pin-pointer, then pop the target out of the ground real quickly. For deep targets, just scan the target and use the center of the coil to pinpoint, listening for the strongest signal. For deep targets, I would probably use a digger, as deeper usually means older. However, you still have to balance the retrieval of a target in an area which is well groomed with the issues of digging holes.

Below is an article on digging plugs I put together several years ago. There are various adaptations of this method, however, the isea of leaving behind a small footprint remains the same.

"With so many users out there, and many more coming out and taking up the hobby of metal detecting, it becomes more important then ever to properly retrieve targets without leaving a big dead plug lying either over the hole or beside it. Folks....we are losing many great spots to detect because of the mess we leave behind. If you are new to metal detecting, or are looking at ways to improve your target retrieval issues, please study my methods. There are different ways to dig targets, and this is my way of doing it.

Remember, sports-fields and busy parks give up a lot of targets. The targets are 95% of the time in the top couple of inches. There is no need to dig a plug here.

Please feel free to copy and paste my instructions on target retrieval. If I can help just one person dig less and continue getting many great finds, then I have at least accomplished something.

Dealers, hunters, clubs.....help yourself and copy this information and pass it on!

ppa_zps3171731f.jpg~original

ppb_zpsafccb455.jpg~original

ppc_zpsfb5782de.jpg~original

ppd_zpsa7b971fb.jpg~original

ppe_zps6883985f.jpg~original

ppf_zpse65b9fac.jpg~original

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread